Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen design struggle

(10 Posts)
Pinkpanther1234 Sun 22-Nov-15 16:59:59

We are having our house remodelled and these are the plans we have had drawn up by our architect for permitted development plans.Build work started a month ago. Having now started down the nitty gritty of choosing a kitchen we have realised that the plans drawn by the architect leave us little room for a kitchen which incorporates all our kitchen desires. I'd ideally like to use "diy kitchens" but am really struggling to come up with a design that works. Have been to the usual magnet,howdens etc but I haven't yet come across a design that works. I think we might have to compromise on what we ideally want.

Our wish list is as follows;
American f/f
Range cooker 1000mm
Built in bins
Pull out larder unit
At least 900mm pan drawers
Integrated dishwasher
Island to fit at least 3 stools. I think we need a bigger island than the plans currently show. The other end of the room from the kitchen will be a tv/living room area.

The length of the long wall with kitchen units is 4m.

Happy to compromise to get best user friendly design

Anyone any ideas as to how to fit this in? Can't seem to find an online kitchen planner that's user friendly either. Anyone any recommendations for an independent kitchen designer? Don't want to pay all this money for an extension and get this bit wrong.

Any help gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

suffolkpunch85 Sun 22-Nov-15 18:20:03

Hi

OnePlan is on here usually- she is an independent kitchen designer. I showed her my draft plans a while ago, she was very helpful.

Etak15 Sun 22-Nov-15 18:26:06

Try going to somewhere like b n q for a 'quote' they will send someone out and do a design for you incorporating all that you want including. You don't have to go with them just use there ideas/plans - do this in a few different
Places.

I found the ALNO kitchen planner quite good when I was planning my kitchen - it lets you customise unit sizes if you need a size they don't have. Only problem I found was that they didn't have a freestanding cooker so I ended up having to put an inbuilt oven in and alter the size to match the dimensions of my range cooker but other than that it was fine.

First thought would be to put the dishwasher as part of the island since the sink is there anyway. Could you rotate the island (kind of turn it 90 degrees) so that it's less wide which would let you make the kitchen units U shaped rather than L shaped?

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 22-Nov-15 20:12:51

Hi - just a quick sketch idea ... Red is 150 tall wine rack and FF top box (900 +50 filler ) and 300 pull out pantry . Greens are 800mm pan drawers . Wall units over . 1m Gold cooker .
Island is all 600mm modules with DW bottom right so out of way when open . And bin top right or could be next to DW . island would be 1.2m x 2.7m ( probably need composite worktop due to size ) leave at least 1m between island and cooker run - leaving 1.3m at end of island so getting FF out and replacing the cooker if they break is OK to do and also allows space for people at stools to not interrupt the only walk way into and out of kitchen .

( half depth units in island are wall units at base height )

Those who've seen me on the other website know I occasionally pick a project to help out on for free - today it was yours !! smile hope it at least gives you good for thought !!

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 22-Nov-15 20:22:14

Lol *food for thought even ! And yes the scale is a bit off - the island looks a bit big ! Sorry ! Need to get back to painting the hall now ! (This was on my supper break ! ) I've got stuff everywhere !!! shock

Pinkpanther1234 Sun 22-Nov-15 20:48:21

OnePlan! You are an absolute star! Thank you so much for taking the time to look at our kitchen! Definitely food for thought! If I could send a magic paintbrush to help you do your decorating I would. I love MN😆😆

Any more inspirational ideas gratefully received.😀😀😀😀

RandomMess Sun 22-Nov-15 21:04:15

I just want to add under counter drawers as just as good/can replace a full height pull out larder! They are fab, I would never have normal cupboards again tbh.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 22-Nov-15 22:09:53

Meant to say earlier - thanks for the mention Suffolkpunch85** thanks

aliazizy Thu 10-Dec-15 21:24:19

Most of the kitchen shops do free design even you don't buy from them. You can try and get some Ideas.
We did try some kitchen shops in Chiswick and Richmond area and found a good design in www.richmondkitchens.com.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now