Talk

Advanced search

Nice areas 1 hour away from Manchester

(10 Posts)
itsonlysubterfuge Sun 22-Nov-15 16:38:34

We are looking to move away from Oldham. We only want to be a maximum of about an hour's drive away. MiL will be moving in with us part time, but wants to keep her house in Oldham so she can travel easily between the two.

DH doesn't work due to disability so we are free to move in whatever direction we want. We'd like a nice, quieter area. We aren't bothered by buses or trains, as we have a car and only use that. MiL doesn't want to live on a big estate, preferably not an estate at all.

We want a nice area, with really good schools. DD is 3 and only child. MiL has some difficultly walking so would prefer less hilly. We need a good internet connection, right now our internet connection is 4 mbps, and it's nearly unbearable.

BiL is going to purchase the house with his property management company and rent it out to us and has helpfully said that "£200,000 is easily affordable" but hasn't actually given us a price point. We are thinking £300,000 maximum. We need minimum 4 bedrooms, ideally 5, detached or semi.

I have been looking all around and heard that Altrincham is nice, but I think it might be a bit too busy for us. I've heard Knutsford is nice, but out of our price range. I've noticed some nice houses in Rossendale Valley, but can't find any information about it.

Basically I'm wondering if anyone lives in an area similar to our requirements, to help me narrow the search down. We are trying to move as soon as possible. Sorry for the really long post, appreciate all the help.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 22-Nov-15 16:48:46

I know Altrincham. Your budget of £300k would probably get a 3 bedroom. You would struggle to get anything bigger than that. But it's a great area, not hilly and great schools. All readily accessible. You are right that Knutsford is out of your budget too for a 4 or 5 bed but again it's a lovely area if you can find a way to stretch the budget.

Have only visited Rossendale. It can be quite hilly but your money will definitely go further.

tittysprinkles Sun 22-Nov-15 19:49:54

Rossendale is nice and the houses are very affordable. There are some good schools both primary and secondary. It is a bit hilly but most houses are in the valley bits. Rawtenstall, Helmshore and Ramsbottom are probably the nicest areas. I would avoid Bacup.

The people are very nice and friendly and there is quite a lot to do especially if you like the outdoors etc. Not sure how teens etc fair though, it could seem a bit quiet.

I know the area well having worked there although haven't lived there I have to say.

Donge13 Sun 22-Nov-15 19:53:20

Greenmount and Holcome brook in Bury are very nice with excellent schools

Cheshireblue Sun 22-Nov-15 20:49:46

How about Stockton Heath, Appleton, grappenhall or Lymm?

ozymandiusking Sun 22-Nov-15 20:53:19

Bamford Rochdale, Helmshore are quite good, easy to get to Oldham.
Take a look at Helmshore Textile museum and have a drive around.

itsonlysubterfuge Sun 22-Nov-15 20:53:46

This is very helpful, thank you. Found a house in Timperly, is that as nice as Altrincham?

What about the little villages around Warrington? Like Culcheth, Risley?

Or the little villages right outside Chester; Mickle Trafford, Littleton?

Buttwing Sun 22-Nov-15 20:55:22

I live in Altrincham and yes it's great and has excellent schools. It is a grammar school area so children sit entrance exams to gain a place at a grammar. Im only mentioning this as I know a lot of people aren't keen on this system. Your budget won't get you a five bed in Altrincham you would be looking at 3 bed terraces or possibly semi if you looked at Timperley which is a bit cheaper. I have friends who were looking to buy at around this price recently and they said it was a nightmare as everything was going to sealed bids and they kept missing out.

What about Didsbury? Or parts of Stockport? Cheadle/Gatley are quite nice or Bramhall? If you wanted to be in Trafford you get more for your money in Sale.

Buttwing Sun 22-Nov-15 20:59:32

Ha sorry xpost! Timperley is nice it's five minutes from Altrincham. Stay away from the big council estate ( the broomwood estate) there is an excellent secondary called Wellington high if you can get something in catchment for there. Park lane academy is a really good primary as is St Hugh's rc. Only if your Catholic though as very over subscribed. HTHsmile

NewLife4Me Sun 22-Nov-15 21:01:50

I like Culcheth, and think it ticks your boxes tbh.
You will get much more for your money the lancs side of Manchester.
Wigan, Bolton, Westhoughton, Lowton, Tyldesley Atherton, Leigh, Ashton, Mossley Common. Maybe won't get outstanding schools, but then you're stuck with 3or4 beds at the most unless you're rich.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now