Talk

Advanced search

Will a cream backboard look weird in a white gloss kitchen?

(6 Posts)
BlessedandCursedandWon Fri 20-Nov-15 22:01:41

Hi, my husband and I cannot agree on what colour backboard to get for our kitchen and I am turning to mumsnet for help! We have already ordered our kitchen and it is gloss white. I like backboards because they look easy to clean and would be cheaper than tiles. My husband is worried that the White kitchen will look too clinical with a white back board and wants cream. I think it will look odd with cream and am leaning towards white, although I share his concerns. For background, the kitchen is big but north facing and is attached to a conservatory so has no direct light from Windows. We chose the gloss white to make it lighter but I am not massively keen on the ultra modern white kitchen look, hence both dh and I not bring sure about the white backboards. I am concerned that a coloured backboard would make it darker, and I haven't seen one I like. We will either paint the walls cream or, as I read it works really well for north facing rooms, one of those very pale pink tones. Obviously this is a ridiculous amount of angst but I am stuck. What do you think?

janethegirl2 Fri 20-Nov-15 22:03:29

I'd go for a colour as I don't like white and cream together

chipsandpeas Fri 20-Nov-15 22:05:39

imo cream will look odd, either go for white to make it blend in or go for a contrasting colour - then i would have accessories the same as the contrasting colour say if it were red then have red sugar/tea.coffee bins and towel

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Fri 20-Nov-15 22:06:43

Not white and cream together. It just looks wrong and makes the cream look dirty.

Get a colour like a pale green or bright acqua or red.

Or go for black or grey. A very pale grey would be so much better than cream.

BlessedandCursedandWon Fri 20-Nov-15 22:58:32

Thank you! I think you may have persuaded dh to give up on the cream. I thought I would look dirty too,

Bearbehind Fri 20-Nov-15 23:03:16

IMO white and cream look terrible together.

It doesn't need to be a massive contrast but there needs to be something- it does just look 'dirty' otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now