Advanced search

Who sorts out building regulations?

(18 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 20-Nov-15 12:58:12

Looks like we're going to go ahead with the worlds smallest extension. I am 99.9% sure it won't need planning permission but have emailed the local planning people to double check.

So my next step I think is to ring a builder and get quotes. Or do I need to talk building regulations with someone first? Or is that something the builder should know about/sort out?

Do I have to tell the council what I'm doing before we do it or do I just ask them to come and inspect it after?

I think or we need to make sure is that there's either an opening window or extractor fan (it will have a window) and that there are a minimum of two doors between the extension (downstairs loo) amd the kitchen which there will be.

firesidechat Fri 20-Nov-15 13:13:48

We paid an architect to draw up our plans and sort building regs out. A good builder would be able to advise you, but I would do my own research too.

You will need building regs approval for an extension before you start work, even if it is within permitted development.

firesidechat Fri 20-Nov-15 13:15:44

We had a couple of ball park quotes before we involved an architect, so nothing to stop you finding out what the approximate costs will be.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 20-Nov-15 13:17:03

The extension is going to be 80cmx140cm. I didn't really think Id need an architect??

dontcallmelen Fri 20-Nov-15 13:20:14

Hi am no expert, but usually if a small extension it comes under permitted development & you don't need planning permission, but building control will need to be informed, so building works can be inspected & signed off.
We have just started a small extension (2x4m) & the company informed/sent drawings to the council & are dealing with building inspector/control, you can deal with yourself, but tbh I have enough to be doing.
I got quotes from various companies, explained that I had not got to having drawings etc, as wanted a rough idea that of costs, the company we went with did the drawings & submitted to the council, sorry for long post hth.

firesidechat Fri 20-Nov-15 13:26:52

That's a cupboard, not an extension! smile

What are extending?

firesidechat Fri 20-Nov-15 13:27:59

Has the house been extended previously?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 20-Nov-15 13:28:28

Extending the utility room so we can fit a loo and sink in. A builder who can do their own plans sounds the way forward.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 20-Nov-15 13:29:15

No, never been extended before. Single story extension. At the side of the house, not facing the highway but is visible from the highway.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 20-Nov-15 13:30:25

House is currently wider at the back than the front. We want to make part of the narrower bit flush with the wider bit. Where the hatched area is.

firesidechat Fri 20-Nov-15 13:33:29

You should definitely be within permitted development then, but will still need to submit plans to building regs and get them approved before building can start.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 20-Nov-15 13:36:14

If I did the picture below a lot neater, to scale and with internal rooms, doors, etc marked In would that be a plan or is it more technical?

firesidechat Fri 20-Nov-15 13:42:52

Much more technical. It needs stress calculations, precise materials to be used and a ton of other stuff.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 20-Nov-15 13:44:50

Ok, that's beyond me. grin


firesidechat Fri 20-Nov-15 13:49:49

Your chosen builder will probably be able to recommend someone to do it for you. Ours did.

Loumate666 Fri 20-Nov-15 15:28:38

You do not necessarily need to submit building regulation to the local authority - you are able to proceed immediately by serving them with a building notice. You end up in the same place at the end of the works (a completed building certificate) but you don't get any building regs plans pre-approved - cost of the building notice application is the same as applying for building regs pre-approval

This link says that it's ok for small developments but I've just used the process for a substantial extn and saved myself the cost of someone drawing up the building regs plans. Downside is that you need to find a builder who is willing to have a contractual clause to meet the building regs without actually having any building regs drawings to refer to as the onus to comply falls on them. To be honest, any decent builder will know the building regs inside out anyway and for a basic build, it's an appropriate course of action.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 20-Nov-15 16:40:52

Thanks, that's really useful. Ive emailed a couple of builders my little sketch. Will see if anyone thinks it's worth taking on! grin

I said in my email im unsure how to proceed with regard to building regs.

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 20-Nov-15 17:46:17

If you only have one contractor then they should assume responsibility for CDM too !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now