Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When to sell

(13 Posts)
JadeFeather Thu 19-Nov-15 15:56:54

Have just been advised by the estate agent that market is dead atm which makes sense with holidays approaching.
I know Spring is always considered the best time but is Jan/Feb an ok time to put property on the market?

wowfudge Thu 19-Nov-15 16:45:55

Depends where you are. Is that the advice from one estate agent? I would always speak to a minimum of three if at all possible. They could just be a crap agent!

wowfudge Thu 19-Nov-15 16:46:51

Oh and our current house came on the market between Christmas and New Year and we viewed five houses in one day in early January.

JadeFeather Thu 19-Nov-15 17:09:06

Thanks. It's in a suburb of london. Unfortunately a lot of the agents in the area aren't great. Have dealt with then over the years and this is one of the best. Having said that I am going to give a couple a call and see what they say.

catbasilio Thu 19-Nov-15 17:09:56

It depends on where you are. I am in London which sells quite well. I will market my house in February. I am hoping that in spring there will be more houses for sale and I will have accepted an offer on mine by then. I wouldn't market just before Christmas though especially if you have Christmas tree in pictures and the market is dead as you say smile

catbasilio Thu 19-Nov-15 17:10:46

Why don't you use online agency then?

LittleBearPad Thu 19-Nov-15 17:13:43

We put our house on the market on 7th January last year and sold it by the end of the week. I think waiting until after Christmas is wise but I wouldn't wait until spring

JadeFeather Thu 19-Nov-15 17:43:19

Thanks. I spoke to a few other agents and they said it shouldn't be an issue. I don't know whether they are being honest or just saying that because they want to draw me in!
My current agent found me some tenants last week but my circumstances have changed and now I want to sell. I don't know if he's being honest or reluctant to sell because he just wants us to take the tenants?

notafanofwinter Thu 19-Nov-15 17:47:52

We've been advised to wait until the Spring too by our EA.

wowfudge Thu 19-Nov-15 19:18:10

How pressing is your need to move? Once it gets into December people are busy doing things other than viewing houses so waiting until the New Year could be a good thing to do. Once Christmas is out of the way, people start planning what they'll do in the New Year.

thecherryontop Thu 19-Nov-15 19:28:08

The other side is that I'm currently trying to buy -been outbid on 3 different houses -all have gone way above the asking price -all because there's not enough supply at the moment -the open houses I've been to have been rammed -I would have definitely thought it was a sellers market now!

financialwizard Thu 19-Nov-15 19:32:30

Our house went on the market three weeks ago. Had two agreeable offers within ten days.

lalalonglegs Fri 20-Nov-15 18:32:36

It is possible to sell your home in November/Decemberb it I think you'd have much more interesting late January onwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now