Talk

Advanced search

What's the smallest space you can fit a downstairs loo into?

(18 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 19-Nov-15 13:20:41

We desperatLy need a second loo in our house and have nowhere to put one.

Ive had the genius idea that because our house is wider at the back than the front we can extend the wider part of the house along the side.

We could get a 130cmx80cm usable space after allowing for brick thickness.

I reckon that's enough to stick a loo and a tiny sink in. Dh isn't convinced.

icklekid Thu 19-Nov-15 13:25:36

I can't answer your question but you could consider a toilet with sink built in which is what we will be using in our under stairs toilet. Might not be this exact one but gives you an idea www.diy.com/departments/cooke-lewis-duetto-close-coupled-toilet-with-integrated-basin-with-soft-close-seat/808507_BQ.prd?gclid=Cj0KEQiAg7ayBRD8qqSGt-fj6uYBEiQAucjOwTxNBd89oOnUiGFI1AL7pBnWNowoyLYZrkVj5LBeG2YaAmPL8P8HAQ&ppc_type=shopping&ecamp=SEAPLA808507_BQ&ef_id=VV8-uwAABN644i6@:20151119132346:s

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 19-Nov-15 13:28:45

That's a genius idea and perfect. I was just looking at small sinks and toilets and worrying I would only have 20cm between the two.

Had no idea such a thing existed. Thank you!

Will show Dh when he gets home and start ringing builders! grin

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 19-Nov-15 13:31:08

Oh it's cold water only. Mmmm. I guess if you've just had a wee then cold water hand wash is ok. I will ban poos from being done downstairs!

namechangedtoday15 Thu 19-Nov-15 14:25:24

We have something like this under the stairs (just a normal door which opens out into the hall and not as nicely decorated ). You'll have to be clever with fittings - other than the combined loo / sink, look for compact fittings, short projection toilets and shallow wall mounted sinks. I think very tall / broad people might feel slightly cramped when they go in there, but we don't have too many family and friends like that and it does the job.

MediumBox Thu 19-Nov-15 14:27:32

our downstairs toilet is 80x90 cm (in an old doorway) with a sink above the cistern.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 19-Nov-15 15:13:59

Wow, 80x90 is small. I feel confident we can do something.

Sink on the side wall rather than opposite the toilet may work as well. Will save that photo to my Pinterest.

Thanks.

MediumBox Thu 19-Nov-15 18:56:36

yep, it's about the size of a small toilet cubicle...

SurlyCue Thu 19-Nov-15 19:03:39

Tape out the area on some floor space to see how much it is in reality and then within that tape out the outline of toilet, door arc and basin to see if it all fits. Also small corner sink might be an option?

SurlyCue Thu 19-Nov-15 19:04:08

Sliding door is also an option

VulcanWoman Thu 19-Nov-15 19:11:55

That size seems fine. The toilet/sink is genius, I think you'd have enough room for separate sink though.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 19-Nov-15 21:04:10

Yes, would have to have a sliding door or at least a louvre type thing. It'll be accessed off the little utility room which will has a substantial door into the dining room.

It will mean the utility room will be windowless. I am slightly thinking about just having the door between the utility room and loo there initially to meet building regs and then removing the door from the frame so the utility room wouldn't be dark. But then the freezer is in there and I don't know if it's a big gross to have the freezer and loo in kind of the same room even if the loo is round a corner?

Dh has said no way to the loo/sink combo. He reckons you'd have to straddle the loo to wash your hands and reckons it's very odd. He was convinced it was an April fool day joke type thing.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 19-Nov-15 21:05:06

I will tape it out on the floor tomorrow.

I have a caravan with a tiny bathroom with shower, toilet and sink, im sure this is going to be bigger!

thewookieswife Fri 20-Nov-15 06:59:50

Think the combination basin loo works better when you can approach it from the side to wash your hands ?! You can't do that in an 80cm width space.

RitaConnors Fri 20-Nov-15 07:17:40

Can you fit a sink in the utility room?

imip Fri 20-Nov-15 07:22:32

I'm considering doing something like this and putting a bigger sink in the utility so that it can be used for hand washing, dirty boots etc that I'd prefer not to wash in the kitchen sink....

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 20-Nov-15 07:24:19

Has your dh got T Rex arms? smile I just stood up from the loo, turned round and can touch the wall, so a sink there seems like it would be fine?

I have a freezer in the same room as my downstairs toilet (the lootility room grin). Never considered it an issue.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 20-Nov-15 10:42:35

The utility room is rammed with freezer, washing machine, boiler and tumble dryer. No room for a sink at all.

Ive taped it out now and I reckon a small separate sink will work especially if it's in the corner or on the long wall rather than facing the toilet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now