Talk

Advanced search

Replacing stained glass in front door

(12 Posts)
silversixpence Thu 19-Nov-15 10:37:01

Has anyone done this? Just wondering how much it would cost if it is possible. Replacing the door all together seems to be a very expensive job so wanted to just change the plain old glass for stained panels.

Anastasie Thu 19-Nov-15 10:45:56

It'll be a couple of hundred at least.

We're getting panels made (traditional method/materials) and lots of quotes were around the 5-600 mark, we found someone cheaper but we have to wait till he is ready, which could be some time...

You could go with the modern idea of stained glass but frankly that's a whole different kettle of fish and IMO not particularly nice.

Anastasie Thu 19-Nov-15 10:46:22

See if you have a reclamation yard nearby - they often have nice solid old doors.

silversixpence Thu 19-Nov-15 10:54:05

I'm quite happy to pay around £500 for beautiful stained glass, a replacement door seems to be around 2k+ here from The London Door Co etc. if you are anywhere near SE London please could you tell me your supplier? There is a reclamation yard nearby but I'm not sure if there are standard sizes and don't want to risk a mistake.

Anastasie Thu 19-Nov-15 11:10:40

There are certainly standard door sizes, but finding a matching pair of glass panels is another matter and very difficult!

I don't have a rec yard I go to, though there are a few in Kent and will be LOADS in London (look on the salvo website) and stained glass doors are few and far between on ebay, particularly nice ones.

My glass chap is a retiring teacher and he does it as a hobby so I don't think I can give out his details iyswim. But there are some workshops around - some do restoration for cathedrals and so on - you have to google really, look for stained glass/traditional glass restoration and there are a few sites that will list local workshops.

Good luck, it's nice to hear of someone else wanting to do this - so many people seem to go for the plastic doors, it makes me really sad.

Anastasie Thu 19-Nov-15 11:13:51

Btw is your door original to the house/well fitting? If so, measure it in mm, exactly, and take the measurements with you if you go to a reclamation yard.

Most of the ones you see on ebay etc seem to be in fairly standard sizes. Ours is 910mm wide, I've seen quite a few and indeed have a lovely very solid second hand door lined up to replace it, which is what we're waiting for the glass for. So you can get them.

dontcallmelen Thu 19-Nov-15 15:42:24

Hi Silver their is a stained glass chap/shop based in crystal palace I can't think of his name at the moment, but if you google might find him I will try & find his card.
Reclamation doors in lower Sydenham & another place just up from cobbs corner going towards Dartmouth road, might also be worth having a look at.

dontcallmelen Thu 19-Nov-15 15:48:37

Found it called art with glass 0208 771 6845 Haynes lane off Weston street
Crystal palace SE19 3AN

dontcallmelen Thu 19-Nov-15 15:49:50

Should be Westow not weston

silversixpence Thu 19-Nov-15 17:19:33

Thanks dontcallmelen smile

we don't actually own the house yet so can't get measurements, just thinking ahead!

YetAnotherUserName Thu 19-Nov-15 17:31:09

You could give this shop a call. They are excellent and have replaced several sections of our front door for us. I don't know how far away they work though, but I do know they did some of the stained glass work in the Harry Potter films!

Blackf0restgateau Fri 20-Nov-15 18:51:01

I had the stained glass done on our door. Cost almost £1000 but half of that was the large panel above the door. I used a local tradeswoman who was lovely - consulted on the design and was friendly and trustworthy. I'm in SW London. I think I could dig out her details if you're interested - PM me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now