Talk

Advanced search

Vaulted ceiling? Flat ceiling? What would you do?

(28 Posts)
Madblondedog Thu 19-Nov-15 09:12:22

We are just getting prices for our rear extension but am a bit stumped on one thing, the extension will come off the existing kitchen to make a kitchen diner. The existing kitchen has a flat ceiling, would you a) have an extension with a vault and a sky light so the ceiling would go flat then vault up b) flat roof and continue the current line of the ceiling c) something else?

It's south facing so we don't want to have a lantern, as much as I love them I think we would overheat in there but we are planning to have windows almost all around with pillars in each corner.

What would you guys do?

Pico2 Thu 19-Nov-15 09:38:22

I'd have a vaulted ceiling.

Madblondedog Thu 19-Nov-15 09:54:27

So flat kitchen then vault up for the dining room bit?

MummaGiles Thu 19-Nov-15 10:24:46

Yep, vaulted

SwedishEdith Thu 19-Nov-15 10:28:40

Vaulted. You'll need the extra light as making the room longer. Put a Velux or two in.

Ipanema01 Thu 19-Nov-15 10:31:16

We are doing the same and have gone for flat - I prefer the look of the line as opposed to vaulted. I'm just deciding on roof lights now but will probably go with 3 x 1m flat velux.

foolonthehill Thu 19-Nov-15 10:32:34

South facing velux???? I have one, you will need good heat proof blinds or you will roast (bitter experience)...

actually you might not need extra light, is there anyone nearby who has done similar sized extension that you could go and see?

Madblondedog Thu 19-Nov-15 11:22:34

Yeah that's my concern Foolonthehill

All three walls will be mainly glass, almost like a conservatory with half walls and without the glass ceiling so I'm not sure it will be dark. I do like the idea of the velux but I am concerned about summer (if we get one next year!)

We've got a large window in our living room which is facing the same direction as the dining room will and its usually pretty bright in there.

Ipanema are you happy with your decision to go down the flat ceiling option or is it not completed yet?

Kitsmummy Thu 19-Nov-15 11:54:50

Op that sounds just like my kitchen diner, flat then vaulted. I love it, I'll post some pics, my vote is vaulted

Madblondedog Thu 19-Nov-15 12:11:25

Kitsmummy your kitchen looks gorgeous, we will have windows like yours but probably with pillars in the corner (although now I've seen your photos I'm less sure of that as I do like what you've done).

It may all come down to costs in the end but I think you've definitely shown my that vaulted would look lovely

sacbina Thu 19-Nov-15 12:39:25

Definitely vaulted. Gives the room a wonderful spacious feeling. I love looking at all the different angles and shapes, and shadows from the velux

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Thu 19-Nov-15 13:31:55

Vaulted grin

That's what we did at our last house (see attached pics) - although our kitchen was in the extended part. We had a double height window at the end (south facing) overlooking the terrace area of the garden/views beyond and opted for no veluxes but a small window on the side behind the sink area that overlooked a courtyard between the kitchen and a previous extension. It was lovely and bright IMHO.......

Spickle Thu 19-Nov-15 14:08:21

We have just finished an extension similar to what you are describing. The back part of the kitchen has a flat ceiling and the extension part has a vaulted ceiling with veluxes. It's lovely and makes the room seem enormous as well as light. Definitely recommend it although not sure how I am going to change the LEDs since they are up high!

Ipanema01 Thu 19-Nov-15 14:08:25

madblondedog ours is about to start so I don't know yet, but for me personally to keep it continuous is more modern and won't date smile

Madblondedog Thu 19-Nov-15 14:46:10

Raphaella that does look lovely

I don't think we'd be going too high with the vault, just enough to create an angle.

Ipanema if you don't mind me asking did you get a cost difference between that and a vaulted or were you always going for flat?

Spickle sounds very very similar to what we're thinking. My only worry is the velux's making it all too hot

BlueCowWonders Thu 19-Nov-15 14:54:32

you can just open the velux!
Ours is flat then vaulted and I love the look. Didn't get too hot this last summer
A friend has remote controlled electrical velux - we just have a stick and it's fine

SwedishEdith Thu 19-Nov-15 14:58:52

The veluxes veluxs Veluxes roof lights cool it down when they're open - all that hot air just rises out.

Madblondedog Thu 19-Nov-15 15:03:50

.........yes, you can just open the Velux window, apparently I don't think of these thing blush

Ipanema01 Thu 19-Nov-15 17:49:13

I don't have a cost comparison sorry! We were always planning on keeping it flat

Lasize Thu 19-Nov-15 18:11:38

I think a v large room with a totally flat ceiling can look a bit squat and out of proportion (unless it has a v high ceiling). Def vaulted. Adds contrast and interest. Oh and is much more attractive to look down on from rooms above than an ugly flat roof.

Madblondedog Thu 19-Nov-15 20:27:41

ipanema thanks anyway :-)

It's so hard to visualise what will look good isn't it

LPLPLP Thu 19-Nov-15 21:05:30

Definitely vaulted. Our kitchen is flat ceiling and then the extension rises up and has a sloping ceiling. It is very modern looking with a long run of sliding doors and the feeling of spaciousness is lovely. We don't have any skylights as we are north facing but love the room.

Madblondedog Thu 19-Nov-15 21:33:23

That sounds lovely LP

Sadly we can't have sliding doors but hoping vaulted ceiling comes under budget

Marmitelover55 Fri 20-Nov-15 20:34:50

Definitely vaulted - it's so much more interesting and airy. Here is ours:
www.houzz.co.uk/projects/787449/open-plan-extension-with-office-corner

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 20-Nov-15 20:36:13

I would do this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now