Talk

Advanced search

Where can I find a decent back door?

(6 Posts)
Baalamooree Wed 18-Nov-15 11:34:53

I've been looking for months! Are all doors engineered/veneered rather than solid wood? I don't want a high end (priced) door from somewhere like the London Door Company but I would like a nice looking door with glass panels/panel for just an ordinary victorian terrace kitchen.

I've asked a carpenter who has suggested Howdens but I'm not sure. I've been quoted about £900 to fit door and frame as well as a little work around the door (the frame is rotten and damp has got in affecting the internal wall) for something like this www.howdens.com/doors-joinery-collection/external-doors/external-hardwood-doors/richmond-m-t-glazed-door/

Are these solid wood and what's the difference between engineered/solid?

NetballHoop Wed 18-Nov-15 13:06:42

Engineered wood is made by gluing together other bit of wood. There are quite a few types I think.

If you want a solid wood Victorian door, have a look on Salvo.co.uk

There's a 1912 door for £150 on this page:
www.salvo.co.uk/forsale.html?key=%22external%20door%22#86554

NetballHoop Wed 18-Nov-15 13:07:39

As a guide, we found a carpenter to fit old doors into our existing frames for £50 a door.

Baalamooree Wed 18-Nov-15 16:24:59

There are some lovely doors on that site Netballhoop. I have tried salvaged doors but apparently 76x196cm doors with a 44cm depth are hard to come by confused

£50? Wow, I bet you don't live in London?!

SuburbanRhonda Wed 18-Nov-15 16:28:53

Watching with interest. I'm looking for exactly that for my kitchen as my hand-made door is in danger of deconstructing itself back into its component parts this winter shock

WowOoo Wed 18-Nov-15 16:50:38

It is a very tricky job and you should expect to pay to get a decent non standard door fitted well.

I've had a bad experience with a not so great fitter/ carpenter who blamed our frame....that he put in!!!
I paid twice, so you live and learn.

It took time. Ask for friends' recommendations. That's how we got ours and even though he swore in front of the children I was very happy finally!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: