Talk

Advanced search

Where can I find a decent back door?

(6 Posts)
Baalamooree Wed 18-Nov-15 11:34:53

I've been looking for months! Are all doors engineered/veneered rather than solid wood? I don't want a high end (priced) door from somewhere like the London Door Company but I would like a nice looking door with glass panels/panel for just an ordinary victorian terrace kitchen.

I've asked a carpenter who has suggested Howdens but I'm not sure. I've been quoted about £900 to fit door and frame as well as a little work around the door (the frame is rotten and damp has got in affecting the internal wall) for something like this www.howdens.com/doors-joinery-collection/external-doors/external-hardwood-doors/richmond-m-t-glazed-door/

Are these solid wood and what's the difference between engineered/solid?

NetballHoop Wed 18-Nov-15 13:06:42

Engineered wood is made by gluing together other bit of wood. There are quite a few types I think.

If you want a solid wood Victorian door, have a look on Salvo.co.uk

There's a 1912 door for £150 on this page:
www.salvo.co.uk/forsale.html?key=%22external%20door%22#86554

NetballHoop Wed 18-Nov-15 13:07:39

As a guide, we found a carpenter to fit old doors into our existing frames for £50 a door.

Baalamooree Wed 18-Nov-15 16:24:59

There are some lovely doors on that site Netballhoop. I have tried salvaged doors but apparently 76x196cm doors with a 44cm depth are hard to come by confused

£50? Wow, I bet you don't live in London?!

SuburbanRhonda Wed 18-Nov-15 16:28:53

Watching with interest. I'm looking for exactly that for my kitchen as my hand-made door is in danger of deconstructing itself back into its component parts this winter shock

WowOoo Wed 18-Nov-15 16:50:38

It is a very tricky job and you should expect to pay to get a decent non standard door fitted well.

I've had a bad experience with a not so great fitter/ carpenter who blamed our frame....that he put in!!!
I paid twice, so you live and learn.

It took time. Ask for friends' recommendations. That's how we got ours and even though he swore in front of the children I was very happy finally!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now