Talk

Advanced search

Insulating unused chimney

(10 Posts)
EarSlaps Tue 17-Nov-15 18:59:50

We have a chimney in our living room that seems to be completely open (you can feel a massive draught when you stick your hand up there and the wind is making quite a noise blowing over the top of the chimney). In the fireplace there is a gas fire, but it has been disconnected so cannot and will not be used.

We don't want to spend a fortune insulating it or capping it etc, as we'd quite like to put a woodburner in there in a year or two, but we'd like to stop all the heat disappearing up there in the meantime. I know blocking them can cause damp, but would it be a problem sticking a pillow up there or taping some fleece inside it until the spring?

Molecule Tue 17-Nov-15 19:45:41

My mother used to stuff scrunched up newspaper up the unused chimneys to stop draughts. I was young at the time so didn't feel draughts so not sure how effective it was, but should be worth a try.

We've stuffed ours up with pillows. Has made a big difference, and haven't noticed any problems with damp since we did it.

Efferlunt Tue 17-Nov-15 20:04:42

I've ordered one of these. www.amazon.co.uk/1/dp/B009MYL5PO

EarSlaps Tue 17-Nov-15 20:10:40

Well DH was saying the other day that we need new pillows, might get a load and use the manky old ones up the chimney then grin.

minipie Wed 18-Nov-15 06:53:41

I'd use a chimney balloon like Efferlunt or a load of bubble wrap. Pillows will attract damp and suspect they would go mouldy over time.

AgathaF Wed 18-Nov-15 08:00:08

We have pillows up our unused chimneys. There seems to be enough of a gap left for some airflow, so no problems with damp that we've noticed.

specialsubject Wed 18-Nov-15 10:00:19

yep, old pillow wrapped in a bin liner. Job done.

just don't forget it is there!

EarSlaps Wed 18-Nov-15 21:16:34

Well I'd be a bit worried if a HETAS engineer didn't spot the pillows when we get a log burner put in grin

specialsubject Wed 18-Nov-15 21:37:02

usually a good test of competence... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now