Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Newport Wales

(11 Posts)
Kazzawazzawo0 Tue 17-Nov-15 15:42:07

I've been looking at rented accommodation in Newport Wales this weekend and quite like a house I saw on st David's crescent off Cardiff road near the big Tesco store st Harlech retail park. Does anyone live near there and can tell me about the area and the secondary schools?

I'm not from Newport and am finding out as much as possible beforehand.

Any advice is very welcome.

blodynmawr Tue 17-Nov-15 17:54:45

I am from West Wales and work in Cardiff, so don't know Newport very well.
Work colleagues from that bit of Wales tend to favour living in Bassaleg, Rogerstone, Risca, Machen sort of areas i.e. NW of the city, affordable and pleasant.
To the NE, i.e. into Monmouthshire - Usk, Chepstow etc, it is stunning countryside but can get very expensive compared than the options already mentioned. Magor (to the east of Newport) can be v expensive as it is a nice village but as it is strategically convenient for commuting to Cardiff/Newport and Bristol property goes for a premium.
HTH smile

Kazzawazzawo0 Wed 18-Nov-15 07:25:02

Thanks.

I've looked at a house in a np20 postcode, just off Cardiff road, it's an estate, seems quiet. Not too far from town, but not in the city centre. Any ideas about the area?

movingonup2015 Wed 18-Nov-15 09:39:20

is there a particular reason why you are looking in that area - working in Cardiff for example?

I have to be honest and say it's not somewhere I would choose to live (born and bred in Newport) but then I work in Bristol so it would be too far for me anyway.

The main roundabout gets horrendously busy during rush hour and the entire of Cardiff road tends to get really busy as it leads to the hospital.

I've just had a look at the road you're interested in and it doesn't look that bad to be honest, no sign of scruffy exteriors which you will find over the other side of the road in the other estates but I have never lived in Maesglas/Gaer I'm over the other side of Newport..

I can definitely tell you where NOT to look at houses but would need to know why you're moving to Newport first - i.e where you would be travelling to work etc...

Kazzawazzawo0 Wed 18-Nov-15 10:23:19

Thanks.

I work from home, so traveling to and from work is not an issue. I've been looking for somewhere fairly central, but not in the centre, if you know what I mean. I'm on a very limited budget also and this was the first house I've seen that ticked all the boxes and wasn't in a rough area, by the look of it, or damp and falling apart!

WastedEffort Wed 18-Nov-15 10:35:06

I'm from south Wales. My dh works in Newport often. Personally I wouldn't move there. From what I've heard, it's not a very nice place.

MissBattleaxe Wed 18-Nov-15 10:38:26

Newport has nice bits and horrible bits like any city. They have just spent several million on the city centre. Swings and roundabouts really. It's a good location for lots of other stuff i.e the coast is an easy drive, Brecon Beacons not far, motorway nearby...

MissBattleaxe Wed 18-Nov-15 10:38:53

Try the Mumsnet Local page Mumsnet Gwent.

Archfarchnad Wed 18-Nov-15 10:46:44

Try and get somewhere in the catchment areas for either Caerleon school or Bassaleg. Obviously, property prices aren't the cheapest for either of those areas. Do avoid Bettws and Newport High School. Hartridge had a dreadful reputation in the past but has now been rebranded as Llanwern High School - but it's still not the naicest area all round.

I think all of Newport is a NP20 postcode, because the NP bit refers to the whole area. At least, my mum lived on the opposite side of Newport and she was NP20 too.

movingonup2015 Wed 18-Nov-15 11:57:02

lots of different post codes in Newport, np18, np19 etc. Np20 is more central but NP doesn't just mean Newport - NP11 for example is Caerphilly which is miles away from Newport...

Ok so if you don't NEED to be in the maesglas area then I would look for somewhere else... the nicer areas are quite limited but a few are beechwood, Christchurch, ridgeway & alt y ryn (those last two are particularly expensive) langstone, some parts of malpas, some parts of rogerstone, bassaleg.

The places to avoid (and im really sorry if I offend anyone here!) are duffryn, bettws, ringland, alway, Somerton, lliswerry, Chepstow road, st julians, pill, gaer.

Warmworm Wed 25-Nov-15 16:15:56

I live in Newport (although I'm not a native). People can be very snobby about it but just ignore them. It's always baffled me, I like it here. You get lots for your money and the M4 means much of the country is accessible. The town centre has just been revamped, and Cardiff is only 20 mins away. Good schools are Bassaleg (NP10 postcode I think) and Caerleon. The house you're looking at would probably be catchment for Duffryn school. There's lovely countryside heading towards the valleys if you're the outdoorsy type.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now