Talk

Advanced search

When to make the move with children?

(11 Posts)
MsConfused123 Mon 16-Nov-15 22:20:18

My kids are 1 and 3 and we live in a tiny cottage with a postage square courtyard.

I have got through the baby years and now we need to make the next step. Do we make the move now into a 3 bed or sit tight for 10 more years and save until they are teenagers and then make the move into our forever dream home?

I suppose the question is at what point do kids appreciate the space younger or older?

Thanks.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 16-Nov-15 23:17:08

Do you need to change area? Have you factored in schools? I would say the sooner the better, certainly if you don't have much of a garden. What about play dates when they start school? Presumably your friends / family have or will soon be having children and I'd want additional living space as well as an additional bedroom.

Can you find something that gives you the extra space now, and you can improve / extend as you go along?

FloweryPowery Tue 17-Nov-15 19:42:32

Move if the garden is important to you, I think.

We moved to the country when me and my brother were 12 and 10. Massive great garden that my mum had always wanted for us children. 12 year old was past wanting to play outside, 10 year old had about a year.

I don't think children particularly need their own bedrooms but it it nice to have separate downstairs rooms when they are at primary school. One's doing flute practice, another homework at the kitchen table, the other has a friend round making an elaborate den of sofa cushions, you're cooking tea.

Marmitelover55 Tue 17-Nov-15 20:00:25

Garden space is more important when they are young IMHO. Mine are 13 and 12 now and aren't really interested I the garden any more. They live their climbing frame etc when they were younger.

wickedwaterwitch Tue 17-Nov-15 20:01:18

Younger for a garden, definitely

nilbyname Tue 17-Nov-15 20:03:45

We are moving from our delightful cottage to a bigger hopefully forever home in the next 6 months. Cottage is on the market.

Kids are 4,7 and we have out grown the house. Kids have small rooms, down stairs space is limited. Garden although is grassed, with a very small patio is teeny. No where near big enough for DS to practice cricket and footy.

Move now!

greenfolder Tue 17-Nov-15 20:09:46

Surely it's not one or the other? Buy the house you need for now. 3 beds, but of garden, decent schools. Re evaluate at the end of primary.

HeadDreamer Wed 18-Nov-15 08:52:29

I have a garden with a 1 and 4 yo. Honestly we don't use it. I don't see the appeal. I bought a little tikes activity cube when DD1 was a toddler, but she outgrown it so quickly. We just go to the park for climbing frames, swings, etc. There's even a couple of zipwires and a smallish trampoline around here. I looked at getting a decent climbing frame but they are so expensive. IMHO, a garden is over rated.

HeadDreamer Wed 18-Nov-15 08:53:48

Well except of having a bit of space from your neighbours, of course.

catbasilio Wed 18-Nov-15 10:14:08

Small garden wouldn't bother me unless you ready to maintain football stadium sized lawn for your children to play footie. Being not overlooked and private, and having functional garden (i.e. patio, trampoline, lawn) is more important.

But if you feel you have outgrown the house, move now by all means. Just make sure the surrounding schools are good, primary and secondary.

MsConfused123 Wed 18-Nov-15 21:06:18

Thanks very much for all the input. We have ours on the market and just this week have seen two very different ones we have fallen in love with.

Really interesting to hear about the garden thoughts. I suppose as they get older (teenagers) it will be us using the garden for BBQ's and drinks whilst they go out with their friends!

I might post another post now asking for advice as you all are so helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now