Talk

Advanced search

my husband loves one house, me the other.

(154 Posts)
SeasonalVag Sun 15-Nov-15 16:41:35

After six months of intensive house hunting, I fell on love with one house, my husband with another. Each house is similar to our respective childhood homes, so one is a 1930s detached, the other 1970s.

Based on location, we chose my husbands favourite...it's significantly nearer my son's school, but I'm so disappointed and upset, I've actually taken to my bed to get my head around this house which is nice enough but my one stab of buying a house and really loved the other one.

Is it normal to feel so upset....I just wanted a house I loved and would be disappointed if my husband was this childish.
Secretly I'm hoping the offer gets rejected

SquinkiesRule Sun 15-Nov-15 18:23:23

Has me made an offer without you even liking the house?
You must link us to the houses and the collective here will tell him why yours is better or not

SeasonalVag Sun 15-Nov-15 19:51:29

No, of course not....but he was animated and really happy all day.....he's normally very unemotional about house viewings, and I'm the one who gets excited.....we've seen 30.houses and both of us have dismissed them for one reason or another

SwedishEdith Sun 15-Nov-15 19:53:24

Yes, we need to see them.

longestlurkerever Sun 15-Nov-15 20:02:56

Was yours really impractical?

SeasonalVag Sun 15-Nov-15 21:15:32

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51606491.html

SquinkiesRule Sun 15-Nov-15 21:29:29

That is ugly 70's from outside, but I'd live in it. There must be a way to give it curb appeal.
It does have loads of space and you could do a lot with it first thing improve the nasty looking staircase , the stairs it looks dangerous if any of your kids are climbers like mine were.

SquinkiesRule Sun 15-Nov-15 21:40:23

I like this one I could do a lot with it. but then Dh and I like living all on one level, lazy
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52485809.html

WhatKatyDidnt Sun 15-Nov-15 21:51:24

The second one looks like it needs loads of expensive and messy work... First looks lovely and cosy and the easier option!

hesterton Sun 15-Nov-15 21:55:43

It looks a lovely light family house.I'm sure once you update it and fill it wih love, it will be a wonderful home. And what a great garden for footie!

SwedishEdith Sun 15-Nov-15 21:56:10

I can see why you wouldn't love that one, OP. But you could transform it with a bit of Pinterest inspiration, I think.

MrsMolesworth Sun 15-Nov-15 21:57:40

Um, if you don't both love it you haven't found the right house yet. Don't buy a house that depresses you. DH pulled out of a house purchase I was very keen on because he didn't like the area. (Safe but quiet place too near my parents grin) I thought that was fair enough. It's a massive purchase and impacts on every aspect of every day life. You need to feel excited if you are spending half a million!

MrsMolesworth Sun 15-Nov-15 22:00:21

Though I do think that house is lovely inside - very light and spacious. We looked at a house like that but couldn't get past the ugliness of the outside. then someone bought it and totally made over the outside. It now looks stunning and you'd never guess it was seventies.

Wishful80sMontage Sun 15-Nov-15 22:01:00

Where's the link for the 1930s one?

dietstartsmonday Sun 15-Nov-15 22:03:56

I can only see one link

redstrawberry10 Sun 15-Nov-15 22:03:50

It sounds like you did the reasonable thing. I think if there is an aesthetic difference, the best thing to do may be to list the practical and objective pros and cons of both places (like distance to school/work) and go with the best.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 15-Nov-15 22:05:56

need the link for the 1930s house before i can judge.

I don't like modern looking houses but that house has an awful lot going for it. White paint, new kitchen and its pretty much there. I LOVE the landing and staircase actually.

It doesn't look very private.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 15-Nov-15 22:08:32

Sorry squinkles but that second one is hideous. Just goes to show, different strokes....

TheoriginalLEM Sun 15-Nov-15 22:11:23

i was going to suggest www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-54874844.html this one, but wtaf have they done in picture 4???

TheoriginalLEM Sun 15-Nov-15 22:16:32

this is my favourite and its cheaper

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 15-Nov-15 22:17:51

The decor isn't nice but the house is big and light and nice garden. Once you get rid of the carpets, light fittings, wooden ceiling, kitchen, curtains and do your own thing you can make it 100x better.

shutupanddance Sun 15-Nov-15 22:18:06

Lets see your choice. I don't like the one dh likes for no particular reason, just a feeling.

howtorebuild Sun 15-Nov-15 22:18:44

I think it's ok, can you link the one you like?

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Sun 15-Nov-15 22:20:27

The second one that LEM posted is my favourite too......far more interesting grin

SeasonalVag Mon 16-Nov-15 07:46:24

Sorry, I get the second link up...but anyway the thing that's annoyed me is I've done most of the legwork.....he wanted a big garden....its here! He wanted a conservatory...it's here......arrgh...less upset this morning as he's told me it has parquet flooring which I love..http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-52006432.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now