Talk

Advanced search

draft excluder/sealer for doors

(8 Posts)
BeenAndGone Fri 13-Nov-15 22:58:45

I'm hoping someone can help.

I have a huge gap between the doors in my lounge. Ideally I would like to find a strip to place on the outside of the doors that would go flush across them to bridge it. In my mind this strip would wooden/plastic with some kind of rubber backing to make it fully draft proof.

Does such a thing exist? Or is there something else that would work well?

I've tried the rubber stick on type seals but they don't last more than a week or two. The door is in constant use, so needs to be pretty durable.

PigletJohn Sat 14-Nov-15 16:58:26

it is curious that your rubber strips don't last. Do you mean they break, or they come unstuck?

Are you using EDPM strip in a P or E section?

How wide is the gap?

Are these double doors, with a rebate cut into each so they overlap?

Wooden or plastic?

BeenAndGone Sun 15-Nov-15 21:30:13

They are wooden doors that don't overlap, so there's a gap probably 15mm running from top to bottom.

The sealant comes unstuck for some reason. It was fine initially & was taken off when the doors were repainted and I've not manage to get one to stick since. I've tried EDPM P strips maybe I should try the E ones?

I've seen wooden strips on other peoples back doors but can't find them to buy confused

PigletJohn Sun 15-Nov-15 21:49:05

why don't they have rebates? Do they swing both ways?

EDPM strips work in compression, e.g. when a door closes onto a rebate or frame. Yours must be closing with a wiping motion, which will rub them off. A 15mm gap is ridiculously huge. Even a brush pile strip would not seal it. Look for a carpenter who could put stuck mouldings on.

You can get a draught strip like these in brown, white, silver or gold effect at most DIY sheds. The mail order ones are in shorter pieces. You could put one on each leaf, one inside and one outside, so that the other leaf closes onto it.

You can also get garage door brush strip in long lengths.

BeenAndGone Mon 16-Nov-15 13:34:20

Sorry that should have been 5mm. I've attached a pic of the gap.

They don't swing both ways. I'm not sure what a rebate door is but think it's may be what I'm trying to create with the strip?

I couldnt get the links to work for some reason. A carpenter is a good idea as it's pretty draughty in here!

BeenAndGone Mon 16-Nov-15 13:35:33

Photo

PigletJohn Mon 16-Nov-15 14:38:36

try "draught excluder brush pile" on ebay, excluding "garage" and "bottom"

it goes on the meeting stiles and accommodates the sweeping movement of your door edges.

there may be a white one but it will quickly be impregnated with dust so black may be better.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-adhesive-draught-excluder-brush-pile-6-9-x-6-mm-/251839999224?var=&hash=item3aa2d56cf8:m:myekx8C9-VBGbbPi8dc1AuA

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stormguard-Window-Door-Draught-Excluder-Brush-Pile-6m-Premium-Draft-Brush-Roll-/251589321035?var=&hash=item3a93e4614b:m:mFJUJwdEfxtTFOkRy7o6sPQ

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Meter-Weather-Draught-Excluder-Brush-Strip-Window-Door-Seal-Tape-Self-adhesive-/331535881137?var=&hash=item4d311413b1:m:m_aKJfRUn-wLsu4Egn9Fdvw

It is sold by places that sell double glazing accessories. There will be one in your town

BeenAndGone Tue 17-Nov-15 20:00:01

Thanks so much, really useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now