Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tiles v Engineered wood floor for new build in the country?

(10 Posts)
mineallmine Fri 13-Nov-15 16:52:43

We've just started building a house in the country. We have to make a decision very soon about what flooring to use downstairs. I originally planned on having tiles in the hall, kitchen/living room and utility from a practical point of view. This is an area of about 75sqm. Although I prefer wood, the house is in the country and will have quite a rough road up to it and I thought a wooden floor might not hold up as well to two dogs, stones on shoes etc. Also, for the kitchen, tiles are safer around the dishwasher I presume?
But now I'm thinking that the tiles might feel very cold (no UFH) and may date quicker. What about an engineered wood floor (better with water splashes?) I need to make a decision quickly because the concrete floor is being poured as soon as the bloody rain stops and the level this is to be poured to is affected by the type of flooring apparently?
Anyone any thoughts??

lalalonglegs Fri 13-Nov-15 20:35:37

I really like tiles and have lots of family living up a mountain in Italy (so cold during the winter). Without exception, they all have tiled floors and no UFH - however, they all wear thick slippers indoors. Is there any reason you're not having UFH? It would make sense in a new-build especially one with a concrete floor.

BrianButterfield Fri 13-Nov-15 20:40:09

We have engineered wood and I think it's held up very well. It does scratch but they're easy to cover up (we have a chocolatey oak finish and you can get dark wood stain stuff you just dab onto scratches and it covers them up instantly). Water splashes are no issue at all - we have small DC so lots of spilt drinks etc and they never leave any trace. It's warm underfoot and requires no real maintenance - you can wax/polish but I never bother and it still looks fine to me! Just mop with ordinary floor cleaner and sweep as usual.

mineallmine Fri 13-Nov-15 22:29:05

Thanks for the replies. My heart says wood- that's what we have in most of our current house and I love it. I have tiles in the kitchen part of our kitchen/living room and I find them so cold.

OreosOreosOreos Fri 13-Nov-15 22:48:53

We have engineered oak throughout much of our house. I love it, it looks lovely, but has definitely taken a battering!

We have a small dog and two boys. The dog gets her paws wiped every time she comes inside, and we don't wear shoes in the house - it can be scratched and dented by shoes quite easily. Any spills need to be cleaned up ASAP, otherwise they can seep into the wood and any furniture should have felt pads on the bottom otherwise they can cause indentations and scratches if moved.

Although I love it, I definitely won't be putting it in the next house - it grieves me for how much it cost any time anything is dropped on it and a new gash appears in it!

I'm going for polished concrete in the next one!

PigletJohn Fri 13-Nov-15 22:52:20

If it's a new build, why not put wet UFH in the concrete ground floor? It will never be an economical option again.

What sort of boiler will you have?

Are you having solar panels?

mineallmine Sat 14-Nov-15 15:30:01

The boiler will be a combi boiler (LPG gas) and there will be either solar or pv solar panels (Necessary to comply with building regs). These should give us our domestic hot water from April to Sept. There will also be a solid fuel wood burner with back boiler to heat water and some rads. So we're hoping not to need the gas heating too much.
Can't remember why we're not having UFH, I know there was a discussion about it at the beginning with the architect and that was the decision but I can't remember how we came to the decision.

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 14-Nov-15 15:36:06

We have engineered oak in the hall/dining and living room. It is really scratched and dented but still looks good. It's light so you don't really notice it. I'd probably be
Bothered if we had paid to lay it though! We have slate in the kitchen and I hate it. Shows up all the dog hair and always looks dirty apart from when it's just washed. Wish we had light tiles

PigletJohn Sat 14-Nov-15 16:51:38

if your panels, and your stove, can heat the hot water, surely you have a cylinder, not a combi?

mineallmine Sat 14-Nov-15 16:54:55

Do I? I am totally clueless but that would make sense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now