Talk

Advanced search

Which F&B colour for this room?

(11 Posts)
Peregrane Fri 13-Nov-15 12:42:40

I've been dithering for months and someone needs to talk sense into me.

I live in an old house with insanely tall ceilings on the Continent (property prices in this area are a fraction of UK prices and many houses have the same set-up). The wall of my dining area depresses me as it just screams "empty!" at me. I want to repaint it with a colour that will give a more saturated feeling, without clashing badly with the neighbouring room. It is basically open plan, separated just by that massive doorframe you see in the attached photos.

The dining room is south facing with a big window next to it, but it gets very little direct light, and the weather is typically overcast.

I am aiming for an overall warm feeling so I think blues, greens and cool greys are out. I would also like to use natural pigment for the depth of colour and a low VOC paint, which in the place I live pretty much means Farrow and Ball is my only option.

I have already spent a small fortune on sample pots in the red range. Rectory Red is too blue and cold. Pciture Gallery Red is too meh and brown. Eating Room Red is similar, and the blackened feature just does not work in that room at daylight. Incarnadine is lovely and I was considering it. But I got cold feet as it just looks too strong and clashing with the neighbouring room. In addition I finally bought some dining chairs after an age spent looking which have a wheat colour insert, and it just seems too much with red walls here, peach walls in the next room...

Any ideas? I am now thinking about Elephant's Breath.. but I can't afford to cycle through many more sample pots.

Peregrane Fri 13-Nov-15 12:44:29

By the way, if I remember correctly the photos were taken in the evening with artificial light. And that is the tiny mantelpiece in the dining area in the second photo with the corner of my dining table. Attaching photos of the chairs.

Peregrane Fri 13-Nov-15 12:45:30

Still attaching... (stock photos)

wickedwaterwitch Fri 13-Nov-15 12:51:06

Slipper satin?

www.farrow-ball.com/slipper-satin/colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/102004

wowfudge Fri 13-Nov-15 13:15:15

That looks very like the very colour the OP wants to paint over with something more interesting to my eyes.

If you want something to go with the peachy shade in the other room, have a look at a colour wheel for something either side of that or directly opposite (complementary) or third of the way round.

You might also consider painting both rooms - a warm white and a stronger colour used together could really lift things. I've always found peach a bit blah and insipid, unless it has a stronger colour used with it. It's too similar to bare plaster.

Peregrane Fri 13-Nov-15 13:47:17

Thank you wicked and wowfudge.

Yes slipper satin looks quite similar to what I want to paint over with something that looks less empty - sorry if I'm not explaining myself well.

I am not crazy about the peach shade in the neighbouring room but it's not offending me enough to make it a priority to paint over - I feel I don't have the time (and the budget) for that too. Of course it's limiting my options for the dining area.

wowfudge Fri 13-Nov-15 13:56:01

I'd look at white and a strong peacock blue/teal colour to instantly lift things, while livening it up. Won't jar with the fire surround, etc either.

Abraid2 Fri 13-Nov-15 14:14:46

String is nice, a bit stronger in tone. I like it in a west-facing but dark entrance hall we have,

I like Elephant's Breath too.

Abraid2 Fri 13-Nov-15 14:15:32

And you could paint the ceiling a darker tone to make it 'come down".

lighteningirl Fri 13-Nov-15 14:31:02

We are debating on Dayroom Yellow for our living room/dining room which looks similar to yours. Lovely big rooms high ceilings we have just taken wall between down and replastered. It's currently all white and its too stark and empty looking I think I am going to put picture rails up (had to take originals down due to artex everywhere), so dayroom yellow up to picture rails and white above really lovely colour just need a dose of bravery.

Peregrane Thu 19-Nov-15 10:34:41

Thank you for the interesting ideas!

I am currently didhering about the spectrum of String (thank you Abraid), Tallow (too light and "empty"?), Cord (too green for overcast days?), Cat's Paw (too strong? drab?)...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now