Talk

Advanced search

£1920 per square metre?

(16 Posts)
Nimble2014 Wed 11-Nov-15 20:23:26

Just had a first quote back for the extensions we're planning. It works out at the above price. No floor finishes, no decoration. I realised that it wasn't going to be cheap, but this seems ridiculously high. Would anyone be willing to give me indications of recent building costs? We live in the south east, but not in London.

Nimble2014 Wed 11-Nov-15 21:16:19

Anyone?

lalalonglegs Wed 11-Nov-15 21:18:04

That does seem high for what is essentially a plaster/concrete finish. Is the build tricky (lots of structural work/awkward shape/lots of ground work/expensive materials such as oak-framed windows or whatever)?

silversixpence Wed 11-Nov-15 21:18:47

We just had a quote for an extension, plaster shell only without plumbing and electricity, around 1000 per sqm. I'm not sure how much those would be on top. We are in London suburbs.

Nimble2014 Wed 11-Nov-15 22:06:37

There are some difficulties. The site is narrow. We have 1m either side of the house. The figure includes VAT - does that change opinions? We don't have to match existing materials as the property is rendered. I've asked for bog standard stuff. The extensions themselves are over an existing extension, and a two story extension at the back of our house. We are also on a slope. The extensions themselves are mostly boxes added to the existing structure.

Nimble2014 Wed 11-Nov-15 22:16:20

My house is 1950's, not listed, and the construction isn't anything special. The new extension is being built over a 1991 extension, that surprisingly is a single skin - this does mean that I've asked the builder to quote for added internal insulation on that side of the work. I'm wondering whether the builder is giving me a 'not interested unless you're willing to massively overpay' price.

Tarrarra Wed 11-Nov-15 22:20:25

£1500 is about right for a simple build but it sounds like you have a lot of groundwork to do if the site needs levelling.

Nimble2014 Wed 11-Nov-15 22:51:24

No levelling involved- the property follows the contours of the land. I had £1500 in my mind for the finished project. What I e been quoted is just walls practically. I'm just so downcast! I'm not asking

Tarrarra Wed 11-Nov-15 23:00:28

Don't be disheartened. Get some more quotes, there's always going to be a builder who quotes high!

Nimble2014 Thu 12-Nov-15 07:01:29

Yes, I will be asking for more quotes. I was hoping that the first quote would give me an idea of how much money I had left for a kitchen, and other finishing touches. I can put those things on hold, but I will need to be able to put floors in and I really didn't want to have to paint the whole thing. Tarrarra -does your £1500 include decoration and flooring?

MrsFlorrick Mon 16-Nov-15 22:24:19

For a simple extension without finishes (kitchen, flooring, decoration etc) that's too much. Far too much.

Look elsewhere.

For nearly £2k pmsq that ought to be finished article.

Many tradesmen are very busy just now and are massively overpricing jobs on the basis that if people are willing to over pay, they can squeeze the job in.

If your extension had complex steel (ie extension tying into and under existing building) then I could understand the price better.

Are you planning complex glazing. Structural glazing? That can be very expensive. So if you are, rethink it.

Otherwise get lots of quotes. I'd go beyond the standard three quotes and actually ask 6 or 7 builders for a price. This will give you a much better idea. You will naturally find some very low (avoid), some very high and there should be a sort of "pack" in the middle. A kind of consensus if you like.

didireallysaythat Tue 17-Nov-15 08:13:06

Is the £1500 rule of thumb before VAT ? Just curious as I've been using it as a guide too. Maybe I should expect £1800 to be safe ? Unfortunately most of our remodel isn't new space but rework of existing space which I suspect will be more expensive...

Tarrarra Sat 21-Nov-15 17:26:33

Yes, £1500 is basic build without any additional groundwork apparently. Allow additional funds for decorating furnishing and finishing.

didireallysaythat Sat 21-Nov-15 23:15:44

So £1800 is real money ? I'll recalculate... Thank you !

Marmitelover55 Sun 22-Nov-15 08:46:20

Just to give you an idea. We had an extension built last year. I got 6 quotes. The lowest was £42k and highest £80k for same spec. We went with the one quoting £50k. This included demolishing single skin extension and conservatory, building new extension and taking out 2 internal walls, plastering, rendering, plumbing inc new biloiler and electrics. On top of that was flooring, kitchen, bifold doors and matching Windows, decoration and new furnishings. . I think we spent about £90k including absolutely everything.

Nimble2014 Sun 29-Nov-15 17:35:29

Thanks for your replies. I've gone ahead asking for more quotes and will try negotiate access with my neighbours, which might help bring quotes down. It's all so expensive. You'd laugh to hear what grandiose ideas I had about the extension. Custom made cupboards, underfloor heating - hahaha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now