Talk

Advanced search

decorating and furnishing a newbuild: small rooms, open plan kitchen/lounge/ diner

(5 Posts)
notamum3210 Tue 10-Nov-15 10:55:32

I am need of serious inspiration we're in the process of buying this house:
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37340595.html

It's our first home and we'd like to make it look nice on a shoe string budget but we're struggling with colours/decorating so it looks light and airy without being bland.
Does anybody have any paint recommendations or furniture? We have about £3-4k to play with but that needs to include almost everything including furniture (we have a few of our own things but most major pieces of furniture need to be bought).

I'd appreciate any advice/inspiration- I've tried pinterest but I'm struggling with inspiration.

Thanks if you can help!

Madblondedog Tue 10-Nov-15 10:59:39

With my first house we kept the walls boring and used accessories to create a feeling of colour in each room. It worked really well and it meant if we changed our minds then no issues smile.

Pinterest - try searching "lounge inspiration" or "bedroom inspiration" and you will get loads to have a nosy through.

Also, one I do is go on Right Move and look at other houses for sale and see what others have done and steal the ideas I like

Diddlydokey Tue 10-Nov-15 11:02:59

Pick one thing you like & build from there. Curtains are quite a good start. The most difficult thing is to find wall art.

poocatcherchampion Tue 10-Nov-15 13:35:57

Buy furniture on eBay. It is all there and dirt cheap. Just be patient and wait for what you want. You can always buy expensive sofas etc when you have more spare cash.

Wuffleflump Tue 10-Nov-15 16:09:02

As well as ebay: local antique shops. Always amazed to kind solid, characterful pieces for a similar amount to mass-market new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now