Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do any of you live in Rye - what's it like?

(3 Posts)
SarfEast1cated Sat 07-Nov-15 23:16:34

We spent a week there a few weeks ago and really liked it; independent shops, nice cinema, bookshop. Junior and senior school within walking distance to station and town. Seemed like you didn't need to drive everywhere either. Just wondered what the reality of living there is? Also is it really possible to get London in an hour?
Lay it on me ladies...

Airfixkitwidow Sun 08-Nov-15 10:05:21

I live just outside Rye. I'm a huge fan of jempsons (the independent supermarket) and some of the newer arty shops but some of the others are stuck in a time warp of dated grubbiness. So you can walk everywhere but there are times when you will need to go further afield. Technically it is possible to get to London in an hour during peak hours but it is very expensive as you need to change at Ashford and get the high speed. I commute to London two days a week and drive to Ashford as cba with waiting for the connections. There is a persistent rumour that they will be extending the high speed to Rye but no sign of it yet.

We love it here. Camber, Rye Harbour and Winchelsea are on our doorstep and there are very well supported arts festivals, river festivals etc throughout the year. There is an online Rye newspaper that will tell you more at www.ryenews.org.uk. Can't help with schools as my dc went over the border in Kent but let me know if you want to know anything else.

SarfEast1cated Sun 08-Nov-15 12:07:32

Thanks Airfix much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now