Talk

Advanced search

Help - double sided tape

(16 Posts)
Snoopadoop Sat 07-Nov-15 14:17:27

Hi all,

We've just removed all the white car hiding thingymajigs the previous owner of our house had all over the living room.
The double sided tape though won't shift!

I've tried nail varnish remover, 'sticky stuff' remover, sandpaper, magic eraser, hot soapy water, iron.

What can I do?! sad help!

Snoopadoop Sat 07-Nov-15 14:17:44

Car hiding? Cable hiding I meant!

Wilford Sat 07-Nov-15 14:19:47

WD-40 should shift it. Bit smelly though unfortunately sad

Snoopadoop Sat 07-Nov-15 14:24:16

WD-40 will do... I'll try anything.

GreenSand Sat 07-Nov-15 14:35:00

WD40 was my answer before I saw what Wilford said.

Snoopadoop Sat 07-Nov-15 14:35:54

I have no WD-40. Right off to Halfords.
Can I add - I hate decorating!

CanadianJohn Sat 07-Nov-15 15:23:39

There is a product over here called Super DeGooper which will shift anything, including the paint off the wall. It contains xylene, so open a window and have a fan blowing.

Snoopadoop Sat 07-Nov-15 16:36:09

No luck with WD-40. Sigh. I'll google super degooper. sad

GreenSand Sat 07-Nov-15 17:20:48

Hairdryer to warm it up?
What's it stuck to? Could you take it off with a sharp knife?

CanadianJohn Sat 07-Nov-15 18:15:25

Google for xylene cleaners.

If you have no luck with chemicals, you can always remove the glue mechanically, by scraping or sandpapering, or something, but then you would have to patch and redecorate.

PigletJohn Sat 07-Nov-15 23:46:47

www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/interior-cleaning-vacuums/de-solv-it-sticky-stuff-remover

www.robertdyas.co.uk/tableau-sticky-label-remover

Snoopadoop Mon 09-Nov-15 07:20:16

The halfords one is the one I tried piglet john.

It's off! Throught brute force and effort. DH has no fingerprints left. smile
I think the sticky stuff remover helped, it definitely removed some of the foamy but left behind, but the tape itself was sticker fast.

So MNers next time you put up that White cable hiding trunking thing just gave a think about how hard it is to get off.

Snoopadoop Mon 09-Nov-15 07:20:47

Thank you for the advice everyone.

bikingintherain Mon 09-Nov-15 07:48:00

Mayonnaise!

Smear it in liberally, leave for 24 hours and it comes off easily with a knife/scrapper.

Mad I know but I saw it on how clean is your house years ago and have used it quite a few times since!

rumpler Mon 09-Nov-15 08:15:58

Have you tried white spirit ?

ElderPrice Mon 09-Nov-15 08:26:07

In the 'old days' at an art studio I worked in we used lighter fuel to get rid of sticky deposits left by glue and tape. Used to get it from the newsagents in a little yellow can that smokers used to refill their cigarette lighters with! Smelly though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now