Talk

Advanced search

how to get rid of mouse in house? ahhhhhh

(52 Posts)
jellyhead Sat 07-Nov-15 12:56:39

Dh saw a mouse sauntering across the kitchen 3 weeks ago.
2 weeks ago ds1 saw one in his bedroom at the top of our town house.
I've put down traps with peanut butter and caught nothing plus one of those plug in ultrasonic waves things.
Today I've found droppings in the airing cupboard.
The house is spotless top to bottom. I spent the whole weekend doing it when the first mouse was seen and I hoover daily.
Please has anyone any advice on what the next steps are.
I feel like the lady in Tom and Jerry who you only ever saw her feet and slippers

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 07-Nov-15 13:03:40

Get a decent cat. My neighbours had rats in their garden for 30 years the tail less wonder moved in with me and there have been no rats for three years. They are wondering why they didn't get a cat sooner.

Hassled Sat 07-Nov-15 13:08:39

Assuming there is only one mouse who is somehow unable to get out (unlikely - how did Jerry get in? Have you looked outside for possible access points?) then just wait it out - sooner or later the peanut butter will tempt him and/or he'll starve. It's probably more likely that it's Jerry and his mates in which case you're going to have to put traps everywhere but really try and work out where they're getting in.

jellyhead Sat 07-Nov-15 13:09:07

I would get a cat but I've got a dog who absolutely goes nuts whenever he sees a cat .
He is obviously fine with rodents though

jellyhead Sat 07-Nov-15 13:12:15

The only sign I've seen is the droppings in the airing cupboard today. It's on the top floor.
There is a hole in the skirting board up there with pipes going through.
I don't know if this is the access from the flue pipe outside?
Is that possible ???

AuntieStella Sat 07-Nov-15 13:15:06

Anything is possible with mice!

I tend to go for poison (older children, no pets) as I don't like handling traps and we had quite a low success rate when we used them.

jellyhead Sat 07-Nov-15 13:20:48

I could put poison in the airing cupboard safely.
My attempts so far haven't worked

specialsubject Sat 07-Nov-15 16:37:09

it can be quite a battle of wits - some of our mice can trigger the traps without being in them!

poison is the best bet, although you need to check daily for dead mice.

it is the time of year when they head indoors so yes, block up accesses round pipes that can be climbed, and if possible keep vegetation away from the house.

jellyhead Sat 07-Nov-15 17:15:11

The only thing triggering the traps so far is the dog

SweetAdeline Sat 07-Nov-15 17:20:36

We have a mouse problem (although so far only downstairs. We have tried the same approach as you and I'm giving it another week before calling in a professional.

Bimblywibble Sat 07-Nov-15 19:47:55

Maybe either traps or ultrasonic thing, not both together. The ultrasonic could be putting them off.

They run round the edges of the room. Have you considered the attic? We eliminated ours completely by putting traps round the edges of the attic. Check every morning.

Also consider calling out your council pest controllers. It is not that expensive round here and if it's not successful they come back for free.

Cats can go either way. We have one brilliant mouser and one who brings in poor half dead things. We've spent a lot longer dealing with cat2's offerings over the years than de-mousing the attic with traps.

MrsGradyOldLady Sat 07-Nov-15 19:50:14

You need a really hard cat.

My an amazing coincidence I actually have a really hard cat you could borrow/keep. He's a bit "shreddy" and likes to piss in toasters but you do have to take the rough with the smooth I think.

iamEarthymama Sat 07-Nov-15 19:57:26

Once you have poisoned them (sorry you must do that, I hated it so much!) get the sonic scares.
I can see mine blinking away 2 years after the Year of the Mouse and all his mates and family on My Bed!!!!!)

gingeroots Sat 07-Nov-15 19:59:26

We use a humane mouse trap www.ratbait.co.uk/muti-catch-mouse-trap-907-p.asp?variantid=4409.
I get someone to empty it .
It does work ,mice generally run along the skirting boards ,position with opening against wall . Add apple or something ,chocolate ?

Good luck .I so hate mice in the house .

Bimblywibble Sat 07-Nov-15 19:59:33

Funnily enough our mouser is a pissy cat too. She is lucky she looks cute.

MrsGradyOldLady Sat 07-Nov-15 20:01:58

Oh my God earthy I'd have set fire to my bed. And the house.

jellyhead Sat 07-Nov-15 20:06:35

I've put a poison thing in the airing cupboard.
Peppermint oil on cotton wool in a few places.
Traps
Sonic thing
Wire wool around pipes and possible entry points.
Considering Mrs Gradys cat.

ingeniousidiot Sat 07-Nov-15 20:15:34

I wouldn't poison in the house - too many little stinky bodies. Just put more traps down for Mr Mouse an all his little mousey friends - they don't tend to travel alone. We use fruit gums on the traps - they're very difficult to remove. Lots and lots of traps, everywhere, and remember to check them and remove the little bodies before the stinky stage.

jellyhead Sat 07-Nov-15 20:20:53

I feel sick at the thought of stinky bodies and as for being on your bed that is truly vile

Bimblywibble Sat 07-Nov-15 20:30:05

Funnily enough I've lived through several mouse/rat poisonings in the last 30 years and I've never known a rotting one in the house. Don't know how unusual it is.

Honestly OP, they breed really fast. You need to get ALL of them in a short period. I think the deterrants might be directly reducing your hit rate with the traps, and making the problem last longer. Kill first, then deter.

jellyhead Sat 07-Nov-15 20:35:01

Thanks bimblywibble
Is the sonic thing and peppermint smell best left for a bit then?

Bimblywibble Sat 07-Nov-15 20:47:02

I am not a pest controller but I think so. Imagine you were trying to catch an escaped family hamster. You'd put out a tempting treat by the cage then creep away quietly and maybe leave the lights off so it got up the confidence to investigate it. You are effectively trying to catch the mice while standing in the room, screaming at the top of your voice and flashing the lights off and on -- because that's how the sonic will feel to the mouse. Not so effective! You need dark, safe, quiet to tempt them out. Once they're gone, then deter further families from setting up home.

jellyhead Sat 07-Nov-15 20:53:45

That makes sense.
Thank you.

FreeButtonBee Sat 07-Nov-15 20:58:05

I found peanut butter did nothing. My nice loved jam - bonne maman raspberry, to be specific. Also put the poison bait down too - preferably the block stuff so you can see if they are nibbling it. It gets them eventually.

You've just reminded me to set traps and bait ahead of the cold weather. It's been very mild but we've had them the past two years and I can't handle any more

jellyhead Sat 07-Nov-15 21:12:49

May try jam
Nutella and peanut butter not tempted anything yet (except the dog)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now