Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My new kitchen is finally (nearly) finished!

(25 Posts)
Titsywoo Fri 06-Nov-15 17:55:05

I know I am showing off but I don't care as we have worked so bloody hard! We had an extension done which started in Feb and ended in April. We only had the money to get the shell done so aside from plastering have done everything else ourselves. It has been so hard and stressful but we are pretty much there bar a few minor details.

So happy! Now have to do the lounge <groan>

theconstantvacuumer Fri 06-Nov-15 17:57:24

Lovely. I am seething with jealousy! Well done on all your hard work.

AesopsMables Fri 06-Nov-15 19:16:52

Looks fab!

Just in time for Xmas santa

AliceInUnderpants Fri 06-Nov-15 19:44:56

Oooh lovely. What is on the wall with the fridge?

Titsywoo Fri 06-Nov-15 22:46:52

Lots of cabinets and sink, dishwasher, washing machine smile

Titsywoo Fri 06-Nov-15 22:47:58

Sorry that was a bad shot! This one is a bit better!

pootlebug Fri 06-Nov-15 22:50:11

Looks great! You must be thrilled to be so nearly there. Christmas at your place, I hope!

lighteningirl Sat 07-Nov-15 06:32:29

Gorgeous

MooseyMoo Sat 07-Nov-15 06:49:01

I have kitchen envy!

Mydearchild Sat 07-Nov-15 08:46:46

Wow lovely big space, we are doing similar next year. I'm dreading it / really excited!

AmourFou Sat 07-Nov-15 08:53:15

I love it! Where is your floor from? I love the tone of it.

Hmmm. This has made me rethink my kitchen! I had decided on handle less doors but seeing yours, I'm going to investigate shaker style ones...

Titsywoo Sat 07-Nov-15 22:03:37

We just picked it up in a random floor place. It is a mid dark oak engineered wood that is lacquered. It is very close in colour to this www.luxuryflooringandfurnishings.co.uk/125mm-chocolate-brushed-and-lacquered-engineered-oak-wood-flooring-14-3mm.html

Finished the grouting today too smile

Titsywoo Sat 07-Nov-15 22:04:57

Good luck mydearchild. I won't lie it's been hard but as everyone keeps saying all worth it in the end!

MummaGiles Sat 07-Nov-15 22:05:20

That is really lovely. So spacious and beautifully done, brag away!

Madblondedog Sat 07-Nov-15 22:11:22

Looks brilliant, well done smile

pinechesterdrawers Sat 07-Nov-15 22:43:51

its so lovely, well done!

silversixpence Sun 08-Nov-15 19:28:54

Looks lovely! Well done. Where is your kitchen from? We are going to be doing one soon.

Marmitelover55 Sun 08-Nov-15 20:20:15

Lovely

Gusthetheatrecat Sun 08-Nov-15 21:08:31

Just beautiful! You must be so pleased. Show off as MUCH as you like smile

321rd Mon 09-Nov-15 00:44:01

Wow. Very nice. We are at the end of four months of extension and building works. I love your kitchen. have you used it much? If so is there any thing you would tweak? I'm paranoid we have put tr sockets in stupid places or just not thought about some thing simple

stilllovingmysleep Mon 09-Nov-15 06:13:38

Really like it, such a lovely space. Well done! I particularly like your grey subway-like tiles behind the cooker. Where are they from?

Titsywoo Mon 09-Nov-15 12:57:40

Kitchen is from DIY Kitchens - first read about them on MN then a friend had one put in. We had quotes from Howdens and Benchmarx on trade accounts but this was much cheaper than those and much better quality. Got some samples doors sent to check (they do have a showroom but its near Leeds I think so too far for me - although I believe one is opening up in the South East soon). This one was Shelley in Alabaster but they do LOADS of ranges and colours. The carcasses come fully put together with the doors already attached so saves a lot on fitting cost if you are having someone else do it. www.diy-kitchens.com/kitchens/?gclid=CjwKEAiApYGyBRC-g_jIstuduV8SJABCEzhZtqxJ4-hwMNwCs9PZYtqfO8_0M8POgrVuIAWs4hUPKxoCy0zw_wcB

Tiles are just grey metro ones from Topps Tiles so really cheap then we used their grey grout as well. 4 sq metres only cost about £130.

Kitchen is being used loads and I love it! I'm glad I spent a long time working out where things should go - for example the side of the island by the sink is two sets of 3 pan draws but the cutlery, plates etc go in there and the dishwasher is opposite with enough room for both to be open and me to stand between them so unloading is quick and easy. Love having the breakfast bar in the island but it is tucked under so no overhang.

I think I would have gone for Amtico or Karndean for the floor if I could have afforded it but the space is so big it would have cost £3k.

We have put quite a lot of sockets in (double ones on every metre of worktop space plus a pop up on the island).

My big mistake has been not planning for a bin! No idea where I will put it still - might have to empty a cupboard and have a pull out bin put in!

321rd Mon 09-Nov-15 13:16:52

Sounds very similar to our plan. Island is only 1200x1700 and set of pans drawers the sink side, which is next to the dishwasher but we do then have a pull out bin cupboard. One waste and one recycling waste.
Ours is being del on thurs so a week to fit it all. But we haven't decided on the flooring yet. ( still have to wait about 3/4 for screed to go off) thought it might be a good idea to get the units in then lay some samples down???

suzyrut Mon 09-Nov-15 13:26:52

Congrats titsy it looks amazing you must be so pleased and all the more proud for doing it yourself. wine for you before you start on the living room.

Titsywoo Mon 09-Nov-15 14:37:09

We put the floor down first as DH wanted no gaps for water to get under because of the wood. Massive pain in the arse trying to put in a kitchen without scratching it though - I'd say choose your flooring fast (you could just get the start of the units in then get the samples? Walking around on screed is cold and it starts to get dusty quickly. Bloody hate building dust!

Thanks suzy - we start the lounge this weekend so better get drinking wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now