Talk

Advanced search

How do I know if I need an new ring main for a new electric oven?

(4 Posts)
WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 06-Nov-15 06:24:07

I want a new neff electric oven. Current oven is ancient and just a plug in type one. The neff one is a much higher wattage and one of these with a funny lead which need directly wiring in.

So told electrical engineer Dh of my plans. He pulled a face and said it might need a new ring main. Which would be a major job and probably mean we couldn't have the oven.

He said he would check. This was six months ago and he's done fuck all despite some reminding. I do wonder if he's bullshitting me as he doesn't want me to have the oven.

Can I get an electrician in to tell me? Would it involve much work for the electrician? I did ring someone and ask him to come and look (would have happily paid for his time) but he just kept saying he didn't need to come and look and it would be £80 to fit the oven. I don't want to order the oven and then find I need a new ring main and it's £500 fitting.

00100001 Fri 06-Nov-15 07:14:58

Just bypass your DH and get another electrician in to tell you - he should be able to quote you. You should not have to pay for them quoting/looking.

Get a few quotes and work from there smile

I can't see why you'd need a whole new ring main confused

00100001 Fri 06-Nov-15 07:16:37

some electricians are too busy to do jobs so might not come out, or over-price the job to avoid having to do it. so definitely get at least 2/3 quotes smile

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 06-Nov-15 07:25:56

Thanks. I do think Dh is trying to put me off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now