Advanced search

buying a house

(14 Posts)
tjhairuk123 Thu 05-Nov-15 21:59:41

Hi just wondered if anyone had any advice we are ready to exchange contracts and move ASAP but my solicitor has just been made away that on are valuation it states that there has been alterations such as an internal wall and chimney breast has been removed and need to be checked to comfort weather all necessary permissions and consents were obtained the seller is saying she has done no work to the property so my solicitor has reported this back to are mortgage lender, I am soo worried as I don't know what will happen of we will still get a mortgage and/or if we have to pay to get checks made before we can proceed any help or advice would be much appreciated as I'm a first time buyer and don't have a clue thankyou

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 05-Nov-15 22:08:54

If the wall and chimney breast have been moved incorrectly, then you won't want a mortgage. You won't want to be buying a house that might fall down!

tjhairuk123 Thu 05-Nov-15 22:14:34

Thankyou and Yes but who will go check it out me or the seller ?.. We want to know ASAP so we know weather to carry on or back out

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 05-Nov-15 22:19:42

I inherited a house a while ago and when I sold it the buyers solicitor asked for the paperwork for a chimney breast alteration which was picked up in the survey.

I informed them my dad hadn't had any work done, the house was over 100 years old and that I had no idea when the work was done or if building regs exisisted when the work was done.

Never heard anymore and the sale went ahead.

tjhairuk123 Thu 05-Nov-15 22:22:02

Ahh thankyou the lady has lived in the property for over 10 years and was very open about everything just hope we find out soon as it's all just a big waiting game at the minute

IMustNotForgetMyPasswordAgain Thu 05-Nov-15 22:32:26

I think you need a proper survey in these circumstances, with a structural engineer if there are any queries about whether the work has been done properly.

Generally the survey is paid for by the buyer, however it depends on your situation what this means as the house sale goes on. If they're beating buyers off with a stick, they can probably just tell you to get on with it and not care about the results. If they need a sale and you're their best prospect, they can buy an indemnity (insurance) against future problems, or offer you money off the sale to get any necessary work done.

Once you know what work, if any, is needed, you can get quotes from builders and adjust your offer accordingly. The sellers may or may not accept a reduced offer.

If the mortgage company consider this enough of a problem not to lend, you might have to walk away if another solution can't be found.

tjhairuk123 Thu 05-Nov-15 22:38:43

Thankyou was thinking about a structural engineer but wasn't sure weather to do it now or wait to see what my solicitor comes back with for the lender

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 05-Nov-15 22:56:57

You shouldn't rely on a seller's survey. Always get your own done. The mortgage company might be able!e to tell you who they use.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 05-Nov-15 23:01:22

Do you know any builder friends who would have a look and say if it's safe? Because actually I think my buyers might have done that.

The other thing the vendor might be told by your solicitor to do is to pay a one of fee for a sort of insurance policy so if there's any problems with building regs down the line it's covered by this policy.

I had to pay £100 when selling a house 15 years ago to guarantee access under a flying freehold. However looking back I think in my case it was a rip off by the solicitor, again 100plus year old house my neighbour can't suddenly say you can't use your front door his the shared access. I should have told the solicitor to shove it.

Wouldn't be suprised if such a thing exists for no paperwork building work but not sure.

tjhairuk123 Thu 05-Nov-15 23:02:05

Ok thankyou will ring solicitor tomorrow and say I want a structural engineer thankyou for your help

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 05-Nov-15 23:04:45

If your solicitor recommends a structural survey on a specific issue due to no paperwork it should be the vendor who pays. It's not the same as a general buyers survey.

I wouldn't worry about the structural engineer not being impartial.....they will be. Because if they put bollocks in their report and the house fell down you would sue the arse off them.

Wait to see what the solicitor says but don't worry, ime this sort of thing is common.

tjhairuk123 Thu 05-Nov-15 23:06:38

Oki and yes I know a builder that was willing to go round but said to see properly he would need to remove plaster/ what ever was covering it to be able to fully sure it is safe/unsafe and wouldn't be prepared to put his name to this without properly seeing but sellers estate agent wasn't too keen on this but will ring solicitor tomorrow and see what she says we just want to know is it ok or not thankyou

tjhairuk123 Thu 05-Nov-15 23:08:28

Thankyou will ring her tomorrow she did say it will take upto 2 weeks to hear back from the lenders

specialsubject Fri 06-Nov-15 10:48:59

your seller does have incentive to allow this to be properly checked. Otherwise you will pull out, and then when the next buyer asks why you did, she says why and no-one will EVER Buy it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now