Talk

Advanced search

Would you move if you thought somewhere was dull?

(9 Posts)
doublechin99 Thu 05-Nov-15 16:45:22

Would you move house if you thought somewhere was dull, but in all other respects was ok - ok commute to work, ok schools, ok house. Nothing amazing. Just ok. But a dull, dull place to live.
Before you say yes, would you move if there was no real obvious alternative to move to? i.e. you would have to compromise on something else - be it longer commute, or smaller home in order for things not to be so dull.
Have children (pre school) so figuring it out now rather than dragging them out of school at a later date.

OnlyHereForTheCamping Thu 05-Nov-15 16:48:16

No

TheVeryHungryPreggo Thu 05-Nov-15 17:01:46

Yes - and we did. We had only moved into that house 15 months before we moved out again. We had originally planned it to be our ten year home! Nice garden. Nice neighbours. Good schools, great gym, OK commute for both of us. No one we knew lived locally and there wasn't much to do nearby. Dull, dull, dull and it was too far for our friends to come visit regularly/for us to visit them.

Don't regret moving at all even though it cost us a lot more money to rent somewhere more exciting.

mikol Thu 05-Nov-15 17:06:51

No, being in a vibrant, cultural area is important to me. We've compromised on a smaller home to live somewhere like that and have never regretted our decision. I wouldn't opt for a longer commute however (currently have a 20 min walk to work).

LizzieMacQueen Thu 05-Nov-15 18:37:47

Depends on how easy it is to escape from.

I live somewhere fairly dull (with excellent schools, pretty scenery, country walks etc etc) but there are trains every half hour to two cities less than an hour away. It is commuters-ville - and in fact that is why it is a teensy bit dull....

chrome100 Fri 06-Nov-15 10:50:16

Yes, I would.

I grew up in a suburb of a large city around 3 miles from the city centre. Although it was nice, and there were places to play, and buses into town when I got older, I swore I'd never live anywhere like that again. Nothing ever happened!

Now I live in a slightly dodgy bit of town just outside the centre but I love it. There are always people about, things going on, pubs to go to, a big park with events in it etc etc. Yes, there's litter and anti-social behaviour but at least there's life. I couldn't live somewhere "nice" again.

wickedwaterwitch Fri 06-Nov-15 11:40:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lalalonglegs Fri 06-Nov-15 11:51:23

No. Death by a thousandy yawns.

specialsubject Fri 06-Nov-15 11:58:23

depends on your definition of 'dull'. I also live somewhere with lovely walks, great scenery and loads of rural stuff to do. I think it is great.

long way to the nearest tube station and you can't get takeaways delivered. Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: