Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen floor options if you don't want tiles?

(33 Posts)
TiredMummy2015 Thu 05-Nov-15 13:47:26

We are having a new kitchen put in and still don't have a floor. I don't want tiles as I find them cold and have small children.

I think I'm decided on a grey tile effect laminate or vinyl.

I've been looking at this new Quickstep range and like this:

www.quick-step.co.uk/livyn/ambient-click-plus/AMCP40034_grey-slate

However, its going to be quite expensive and I'm wondering if there may be cheaper options?

The sheet vinly I have seen so far looks too obviously plasticy.

I looked at Karndean but am not sure about the fake grout strips they use.... don't they look fake and odd?

chelle792 Thu 05-Nov-15 13:52:37

I love my karndean. OH didn't realise they weren't real tiles until I mentioned it!

Lilipot15 Thu 05-Nov-15 13:55:30

I'm hoping Karndean is good as that's what I've ordered.
Walked in socked feet from a wood effect laminate floor onto tiles on a not particularly cold day in a not particularly cold house and my feet were distinctly chilly!

yeOldeTrout Thu 05-Nov-15 13:57:29

What about bamboo? Not as durable as others, but many seem to enjoy it.

TiredMummy2015 Thu 05-Nov-15 14:01:02

I don't really want a wood effect so not sure Bamboo would work.

Those with Karndean what do the grout strips look like? Do they ever lift off?

yeOldeTrout Thu 05-Nov-15 14:03:55

We just had Karndean fitted & I don't understand what a grout strip is, sorry!!

Roussette Thu 05-Nov-15 14:15:02

I have karndean too and also no idea what a grout strip is! It fits seamlessly - you can barely tell where the join is!

wowfudge Thu 05-Nov-15 16:32:55

We have Polyflor Colonia in our bathroom - it's lvt and was cheaper than Quickstep livyn, which was what I fancied at first. Polyflor make flooring that's extensively used in shops. Great for kitchens as well as bathrooms.

wowfudge Thu 05-Nov-15 16:35:23

My parents have Karndean with grout strips in their bathroom - you have to look really closely to even be able to tell.

Pantsalive Thu 05-Nov-15 16:43:12

We had a slate-effect laminate from Wickes in out last kitchen. I was really pleased with it. It was very convincing and not cold underfoot.

Behooven Thu 05-Nov-15 16:45:51

I've had Karndean down in the kitchen diner for 5 years and it's great. No lifting, peeling or scratching.
I re-dress it once a year and it looks good as new.

(Buy the cleaner and dressing off Amazon much cheaper)

80sWaistcoat Thu 05-Nov-15 16:47:27

Karndean - looks great - not fake at all. And it was done years ago.
Friend had it done recently and the 'grout' looks really good.

Highly recommend.

TiredMummy2015 Thu 05-Nov-15 17:44:51

The Karndean that I have seen has strips to make it look as though there is grout between each individual tile.

chelle792 Thu 05-Nov-15 18:52:42

I have the grout strips. The sales people recommended the grout colour and it looks really good/realistic

TremoloGreen Thu 05-Nov-15 18:58:36

I had the exact same requirements as you and I am getting the Livyn in cream travertine smile

The main reason for me though, was that I will lay it myself and I want an easy job. If I was going to pay someone anyway, I would go for Polyflor Colonia and get the grouting strips. Both are a good quality product for the money (I wouldn't go cheaper, having tested out some cheaper samples) but the Polyflor strip effect is prettier.

Can you save money by laying yourself? It's just click together flooring and you only need a stanley knife to cut it. A lot depends on the quality of the subfloor though.

summerpuddingandclottedcream Thu 05-Nov-15 19:00:20

We've got a version of Karndean recommended by a local flooring shop. It's been great; utterly bombproof, very kid-friendly.

Previously we had ceramic tiles which really hurt when the children fell over/bumped their heads/fell off chairs. And nothing survived being dropped. And it was cold and one of the tiles cracked.

I was mooning over engineered oak but after watching my brother fuss over his, making everyone take their shoes off and worrying about tiny splashes, I changed my mind!

The stuff we have (sorry can't remember the name) is great. Occasionally it scratches when the heavy 8-year-old hefts his chair across it, but somehow any sign of damage vanishes when mopped smile

TiredMummy2015 Fri 06-Nov-15 11:08:32

I am 9 months pregnant so won't be laying it myself.

Has anybody used Kronospan?

I like the look of their slate effect laminate

www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/laminate/7856/kronospan_stone_impression_mustang_slate_laminate_flooring

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Fri 06-Nov-15 11:59:33

Small kids here too so tiles were out [too cold and too many breakages], and wood flooring had too much maintenance associated with it for my taste.
Looked at rubber and discovered it stains too so ditched that idea fast [can you tell I don't like cleaning] but found this company that do vinyl too and have been very impressed
www.colourflooring.co.uk/collections/vinyl-flooring

Plan was to change it when we do our "forever" kitchen [prob when the kids move out at this rate] but we're really happy with it, even DH who hates vinyl.

Looked at Karndean but couldn't justify the price in what was supposed to be a cheap and cheerful upgrade.

poocatcherchampion Fri 06-Nov-15 12:07:25

We've just gone for quickstep and we are very excited about it!

CMOTDibbler Fri 06-Nov-15 12:08:19

I have Karndean in my kitchen and its brilliant. Nowhere for dirt to get trapped and so easy to keep clean. No problems with the grout strips lifting, and it hasn't marked or stained despite the best efforts of this household

gpignname Fri 06-Nov-15 12:18:39

We have Karndean. Tis fine. But if you drop something it still shatters in a million pieces.

cressetmama Fri 06-Nov-15 16:35:24

We laid Karndean about 15 years ago and it has worn really well. After so long, in the highest wear areas (where DH sits and moves his chair around without getting up) white patches are showing. The wood effect strips in between the tiles have stayed put except in one spot and I think that's caused by something completely different.

dementedpixie Fri 06-Nov-15 16:47:22

We have kompact klick vinyl tiles. Had it for 1 year so far

Babbafish Fri 06-Nov-15 16:52:00

We have Amtico .... Better version of Karndean!!! Love it!!!!

Behooven Sat 07-Nov-15 00:40:13

Amtico is more expensive, basically the same product.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now