Talk

Advanced search

The sequence of things...

(6 Posts)
straighttalker Thu 05-Nov-15 05:34:11

Have bought a house which requires really complete gutting (not sure what I was thinking, but the garden is massive and there is loads of potential).

The plan is to add a two storey extension in about three years time - extended kitchen/diner/living space, and utility room, and extend a bedroom upstairs with ensuite +/- study.

But in the meantime, there's still loads to do, including dealing with the detritus left behind by decades of neglect.

Just a bit unsure about the sequence of things i.e. what should be done first to make it easier for the rest? Any thoughts? Or tips?

Here's the plan for the first few months/year:
- House needs re-wired. This will involve multiple sockets being put in everywhere!
- Switch from electric to gas heating. New radiators including relocation of a few. Gas fire installation instead of open fireplace.
- Triple glazing in all windows (single at moment, and some upstairs rooms showing signs of damp/condensation)
- Guttering - cleaned and possibly replaced.
- All rooms stripped of horrible seventies wallpaper.
- Depending on state of plaster underneath, may need to skim/replaster.
- Painting
- Dated paisley carpet lifted from everywhere and new carpet / hard floors put down
- New WC/sink/floor and wall tiles in downstairs bathroom
- New bathroom suite upstairs
- New kitchen (just a very basic ikea one - the plan is for the existing small kitchen to become utility room / pantry when the extension goes in).
- New internal doors
- New external doors

Have never done really any home renovations before so any advice re timing appreciated - re-wiring should be first, I think? then the heating?

00100001 Thu 05-Nov-15 07:17:06

I would seriously look at getting a building firm to quote this for you...

Might be slightly more expensive, but doing it all yourself will be a NIGHTMARE Also, they could probably tell you the state of the building and if there's things you may have missed.

Sounds like you have a real fixer upper, I hope you have extra money put aside for that job that you haven't budgeted for! smile

Bimblywibble Thu 05-Nov-15 08:42:38

Wow, big project but sounds like it'll be amazing. 001 speaks sense I think. My only advice from a DIY point of view is one room at a time but that obv doesn't apply to such a bigger project.

I am no expert but yes I think rewiring and heating before you start anything cosmetic. We had windows done in Jan when it was extremely cheap. It might be worth putting some of your stuff in storage - things like shelves full of books just attract dust and are a pain and a half to move for the electrician, and the plumber, plasterer and decorator.

Get external doors fitted by the window company if you're going for composite/UPVC. External doors are expensive but it's amazing how much difference they make.

limesoda Thu 05-Nov-15 09:34:05

We are doing a similar level of renovation, and ourselves. We are not in any ways professionals (although DH is an electrical engineer who used to work in building services, so has some clue about some things0.

if you plan to live there, one room at a time is definitely the way to go. Stops you going mad and feeling like you are living in complete squalor. Also you see progress more quickly, which a huge motivator to keep going.

We changed the oil heating to gas first. Admittedly, it was mostly because the water was never warm with the oil system, so a few moths of tepid showers speeded that up.

Then we got a structural engineer in, getting him to 'futureproof' his drawings, in case we do add an extension.

Then kitchen, but theoretically starting the wiring as well. We have the new consumer unit under the stairs, with all of the wires ready to go when we are moving in to other rooms. This is a really VERY slow way of doing it, becuase you have to spend ages thinking about all the rooms and what might end up there in future (audio, internet, heat thermostats, a consideration to a system that allows motion sensors) even though we are ages away from doing anything in those rooms.

We are doing the windows room by room as well, and doors.

If you do the room-by-room approach, you have to make sure you make really good friends with trademen. We aren't using that many, but have a plasterer who is happy to slot in a room for us between two 'bigger' jobs. Likewise windows, we have ordered for the whole house, and can either pay the company a bit for storage, or pay a bit more to have them manufactured to order (which is what we are doing, just in case things change). We also have a builder who will do structural work for us, again happy to do small jobs.

But yes, getting a quote for someone to do it all for you is worth it as well. At least then you have an upfront guide to cost, as opposed to our emergency dashes to screwfix that cost a month's salary weep

straighttalker Thu 05-Nov-15 22:58:54

Thanks all.

This is going to sound daft but I never considered asking a builder to price it all up, just assumed I would employ the different professionals separately - gas engineers, electricians, plasterers, etc. Will definitely see although it means I would have to produce funds immediately rather than spread over a year as I had planned.

Not moving into house until bulk of work is done so that will make it easier!

I'll talk to a few builders, and if I don't go that route, will go cavity wall/roof insulation first, then rewiring second, then gas heating, I think.

Sunny777 Thu 05-Nov-15 23:15:38

Lot of small building firms offer multiple things like gas/plumbing/kitchens etc. So you will be probably better off going with one builder as u can get a better deal.
Gas stuff can start with the rewiring.

As it sounds like a proper project so please plan completely to save costs and unexpected headache.

Talk to few builders. Site visits n then discuss everything paiently to understand and then decide.

Gud luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now