Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

had enough wiping the spills on the wooden work surfaces around the sink!

(19 Posts)
noclueses Thu 05-Nov-15 00:45:40

Please advise me how to change the finish on the unvarnished kitchen surfaces (bought the house like this and it's still in good condition and I can't fork out for new kitchen units anyway). Especially tedious constantly wiping water around the sink - which is relatively small and round so unavoidable when washing dishes or hands!

If I don't mop it up immediately, it all starts looking unpolished, and natural wood colour will fade due to water marks.

Maybe there is an obvious solution, but I've no idea (no domestic Goddess here).
It's doubly stressful when someone is staying as I can't keep telling them to wipe every spill. Is there some silicon spray or something which is not messy - or a transparent coating film that can be cut to size around the sink at least?
TIA

OnePlanOnHouzz Thu 05-Nov-15 09:39:59

Best bet is to thoroughly clean all the worktops then varnish them with a clear 'for boat use type' varnish ... It's not as pretty as the natural wood but it's harder wearing. My neighbours did this and it looks good - just a bit shinier than you'd expect a wood top to look ... But so much less hassle !!

atticusclaw2 Thu 05-Nov-15 09:44:24

They're not oiled enough. If they were, the water would ball up when you spill it.

We use Morrells Tung oil. It only needs doing every six months or so.

PolterGoose Thu 05-Nov-15 15:17:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Thu 05-Nov-15 15:18:00

noclueses Thu 05-Nov-15 20:29:29

thank you, so it's oiling that's needed! yes feels very dry now. thought it would only need varnish, but as you say would rather not have it very shiny!

HOw long does it take for the oil to dry? Just thinking whether the tap wil be useable on that day?
Polter, as I've never done it a bit worried re sanding - so that it's even and not too much, how to judge that? just the lightest of pressure with not very coarse paper? would you dust with slightly damp cloth?

noclueses Thu 05-Nov-15 20:29:54

is Osmo oil expensive btw?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 05-Nov-15 20:37:19

So is it literally just completely bare, untreated wood? Has it never been oiled ever?

atticusclaw2 Thu 05-Nov-15 20:39:15

It probably has, its just seeped right in and needs redoing. If it was bare untreated wood it would surely be badly stained?

whataboutbob Thu 05-Nov-15 20:51:04

I use low VOC Danish oil. Don't do it as often as i should. After a treatment the wood repels water which forms little droplets on the wood surface, but doesn't sink in.

noclueses Thu 05-Nov-15 21:05:26

I think it was treated when installed years ago. It's the blocks of wood with stripes going along and some natural colour variations, it's ok away from the sink and work areas but is getting discoloured around - I do wipe it all the time like mad, if I didn't it would already have gone very pale and it does have rough-ish surface.

PolterGoose Thu 05-Nov-15 21:10:47

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 05-Nov-15 21:12:05

Yes you must oil it regularly. We had beech at our old house and it went black round the sink because we didn't oil it enough. Wood looks lovely but I wouldn't have it again.

noclueses Thu 05-Nov-15 23:43:20

thanks a lot - will be buying the oil tomorrow! well, and sand paper.
I'm worried that sanding wil make the nice golden colour of the wood go paler though.
So how long does it take to dry for the surface to be useable?

Trazzletoes Thu 05-Nov-15 23:54:13

Marking my place as we've nearly run out of oil! We were told to oil every 3 months.i love our wooden surfaces and wouldn't change them for the world. We do have a massive sink though...

Trazzletoes Thu 05-Nov-15 23:56:13

I pour on like Goose in the evening, wipe off excess after half an hour and then leave overnight. Give it another wipe in the morning and it's good to go.

If it's not been oiled in years you may need to do it a few times.

noclueses Thu 12-Nov-15 20:09:10

there was a delay with the project as I've been busy. So now more questions!
Is Danish Oil by Wilko as good as Osso? in my area that's the nearest shop, otherwise will have to have a special trip to osso stockist.
Also, can you advise again how thick should the second layer be - and is the smell strong? is it best to ventilate after, or haev heating on but no windows open (moisture coming in)?
thanks!

bumpertobumper Thu 12-Nov-15 20:17:41

We were advised to use very fine wire wool, not sand paper. Just give it all a light rub before oiling.
I am still using the oil which was supplied be the manufacturers of my worktop so can advise on other brands of oil, although will have to buy some soon, but it doesn't small that strong, just have the kitchen a quick air through in the morning.

PolterGoose Thu 12-Nov-15 20:40:04

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now