Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Improving/renewing nasty fitted wardrobes

(8 Posts)
Lelivre Wed 04-Nov-15 09:10:30

We have a 60s property and each bedroom has some kind of fitted wardrobe.

They are old and not the best quality, dd's room is the next to sort out. It has makeshift shelves, ancient carpet in the bottom and peeling wallpaper inside. The doors are mirrored sliding and easily pop off their gliders. I amost feel like ripping it all out and putting a desk or bed into the alcove, and getting a freestanding one.

Lots to do in this house still...Any ideas to affordably improve them, or should I take them out?

Used2bthin Wed 04-Nov-15 09:18:11

Am watching this as we have the same (well, different type of door but similar issue) in our 70s semi. In Dd1's room we took the doors off , left the shelf and hanging rail at the top and put in a dark den as she has ASD but now she's a bit big for it so I'm considering sticking a desk in there and maybe shelving at the back.

lalalonglegs Wed 04-Nov-15 09:28:31

You can fix the wallpaper and carpet easily enough. Shelves can be easily replaced with new boards cut to length and screwed into place. There are lots of companies offering replacement doors to almost any size but, if the sliding mechanism is beyond saving, you could go for conventional hinged doors.

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Wed 04-Nov-15 09:35:12

Sometimes the door stop is out of line so the door bounces off the track. So the bottom stops but the top keeps going causing a tip ...

yomellamoHelly Wed 04-Nov-15 13:31:39

Take door off and decide whether slider has had it and whether you can replace it. Strip walls and paint. Replace carpet with an offcut. Get new MDF shelves cut to fit. Investigate and buy replacement hinged doors / curtain if slider has had it.

PigletJohn Wed 04-Nov-15 14:02:12

If you have slotted or grooved runners in the floor, clean them out well with a pin, stiff brush and hoover. If the wheels are hitting detritus they will bounce out.

Also put down news paper and clean the wheel carriages.

SmellTheGlove Wed 04-Nov-15 17:11:58

Take them out! First thing we did when we moved in was rip out the delightful 80s style wardrobe and dressing table combo...

Lelivre Sun 08-Nov-15 11:24:21

Thanks all, these are not too offensive floor to ceiling mirrored doors in an alcove. I am inclined to try and make the best of them now, following your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now