Talk

Advanced search

What do you think the smallest room an estate agent should be allowed to describe a 'generous double' ?

(21 Posts)
JeffsanArsehole Tue 03-Nov-15 11:09:00

smile Because there really should be a minimum

lalalonglegs Tue 03-Nov-15 11:24:01

Difficult one - I'd like to see some sort of benchmark for "luxury apartment" too beyond it having walls, windows and running water.

CocktailQueen Tue 03-Nov-15 11:25:11

One where you can comfortably fit a double bed plus bedside cabinets and some other furniture - chair/dressing table/chest of drawers - and be able to walk comfortably round the bed to get in from all sides.

ouryve Tue 03-Nov-15 11:26:04

One you can actually get a kingsize bed in, plus plenty of storage, and not have to climb over anything to get from one side of the room to the other.

JeffsanArsehole Tue 03-Nov-15 11:27:25

7foot 1inch by 7foot 5inch is the room I'm talking about confused

Totally ridiculous to me. Yes, it's London.

irregularegular Tue 03-Nov-15 11:29:16

Noooo! That's a pretty mean single!

TheOriginalWinkly Tue 03-Nov-15 11:29:28

Oh the estate agent can get fucked. That's a small double! That would leave about a foot at the bottom of a kingsize bed.

Pisghetti Tue 03-Nov-15 11:30:09

That's a nonsense isn't it? My nursery is roughly that size and we can't fit much in there.

Howtheheck Tue 03-Nov-15 11:32:42

We looked at a new build spacious single room dh feet were nearly up the wall he lay down to see how long it was he is 6ft 1 shock we also saw a house where they had a boxroom /nursery it was a bloody cupboard the estate agent had the grace to look embarased about it.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Tue 03-Nov-15 11:36:36

One where you can comfortably fit a double bed plus bedside cabinets and some other furniture - chair/dressing table/chest of drawers - and be able to walk comfortably round the bed to get in from all sides.

nope that is a double bedroom, any less is a single bedroom

i would say 12' x 12' is generous.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Tue 03-Nov-15 11:38:35

7foot 1inch by 7foot 5inch is the room I'm talking about

so that is 49 sq ft (ignoring inches), my min was 144 sq ft, small difference.

wonkylegs Tue 03-Nov-15 11:44:27

If that's the case our box room has just become a double and those space standards probably mean we have room for at least 34 people to sleep comfortably!
I've never read an estate agents details that I haven't taken with a pinch of salt.

TheGreenNinja Tue 03-Nov-15 11:45:13

So a double bed is 4'6" x 6" leaving you a generous 2 and a half feet around the sides (OK, so you have to share it out evenly so 1'3" ish each) and a huge 1'5" at the end. Pfft, don't know what you are complaining about! There must be simply loads of wardrobes that are 6-7 inches deep!

hollinhurst84 Tue 03-Nov-15 12:00:43

I went to view a house advertised as 3 double bedrooms. Turned out to be a generous double, a standard ish double and a room that you could fit a cot in. And nothing else

namechangedtoday15 Tue 03-Nov-15 12:18:58

That is not even a double I wouldn't have said. Even if a standard double was pushed up against one wall, a standard interior door wouldn't be able to open into the bedroom.

Bimblywibble Tue 03-Nov-15 12:20:38

That is ridiculous. I think you always have to take qualitative words like "generous" with a pinch of salt though.

I do remember rejecting an otherwise decent house because there was no space for even a moses basket next to a standard double bed in the "master" bedroom. Trouble was they'd shoehorned in an en suite.

TheElementsSong Tue 03-Nov-15 12:25:02

I hate this sort of thing! We marketed our house as 3 bedrooms + study because, yes, we have 3 (proper) double bedrooms and the study is IMO too small to fit a single bed. Now we are house hunting, it looks like 90% of the houses on RM have a "small bedroom" barely larger than our study!

CocktailQueen Tue 03-Nov-15 12:26:23

You could just fill the room with a mattress and make the entire room a bed. FFS!!

PassiveAgressiveQueen Tue 03-Nov-15 12:28:23

no room for clothes but an extra shower and loo, seen it myself, damn stupid.

TheGreenNinja Tue 03-Nov-15 12:54:11

I had this argument with an estate agent. Viewed a stunning house, would have been absolutely ideal except it was marketed as a 4-bed house (v. New so no measurements on floor plan) and I measured the 4th bedroom and it wasn't even 6" in either dimension so couldn't have fit a bed in it. We needed 4 bedrooms and he was arguing it'd be ideal as a study - well maybe but then don't say it's a bedroom and waste the time of people who need it as a bedroom! He did concede in the end that almost everyone who'd viewed it had complained about the room being described as a bedroom. Numpties.

TFPsa Tue 03-Nov-15 12:59:55

Imo:

'Double' - room for double bed plus standard minimal bedroom furniture, e.g. wardrobe plus chest of drawers.

'Generous double' - as above plus room for a dressing table or desk or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now