Talk

Advanced search

Where to live in yorkshire?

(8 Posts)
rachelAndrews24680 Mon 02-Nov-15 22:08:13

Hello, I currently live in Scotland I have a 2 year old son, I have wanted to move to yorkshire for a while now but I have no idea where to start, I wanted to live in a little village in the country kind of like the TV programme emmerdale, can anyone recommend anywhere for me to start looking? Thanks

FunkyPeacock Mon 02-Nov-15 22:11:37

Can you give a bit more info?
Would you need to be in commuting distance of a city or big town for work?
Do you drive or would you be reliant on public transport?

BikeRunSki Mon 02-Nov-15 22:15:40

Will you be working? Where? Do you want easy access to a city?
Budget ? - the area north of Leeds has some of the most expensive houses in the UK, but also has some very "Emmerdaley" villages (including Esholt where Emmerdale is shot).

South of Leeds (where I live!) is less twee, but generally cheaper.

marzipancustard Mon 02-Nov-15 23:57:02

Wetherby & surrounding villages

TheGirlFromIpanema Tue 03-Nov-15 00:03:31

Emmerdale hasn't been filmed in Escholt for year wink but it is lovely, and of course, very Emmerdaley grin

I'd say start looking round Ilkley for inspiration and spread out from there for a good search depending on exactly what you are after by way of housing/schools/amenities etc.

Most of Yorkshire is pretty lovely but I may be somewhat biased smile

TheGirlFromIpanema Tue 03-Nov-15 00:05:04

Esholt for years blush

Justalittlebitblondie Tue 03-Nov-15 06:50:51

Maybe think about going further north and west - if you don't need to be that near a city you can go up into the dales - beyond masham - it is really beautiful and a lot, lot cheaper than near Leeds and Harrogate. If you need secondary schools there is Ripon Grammar or the skipton grammar schools - as the catchments are rural they are huge so you can love somewhere stunning and still be able to get to them.

BikeRunSki Tue 03-Nov-15 18:17:32

I think you might like the villages around Penistone, Holmfirth and Hebden Bridge too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now