Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toilet problems - PigletJohn or any clever person to help please!

(21 Posts)
GrizzlebertGrumbledink Mon 02-Nov-15 19:00:22

Toilets running constantly so I wanted to take the lid off to investigate except I can't. It's a push button one, I've levered the button out to look for a screw but can't see a screw. The metal rim doesn't seem to turn either. Any ideas? I've attached pics of what the button looked like in case anyone recognises it, and what it looks like with no buttons in.

Any help is really appreciated!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 02-Nov-15 19:03:29

the toilet at work does this if you hold the flush button down too long to flush

to stop it you have to hold the button down too long when it runs....it's ridiculous.

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Tue 03-Nov-15 08:54:26

Hopeful bump! Holding the button down does not stop the toilet running I'm afraid.

Ruhrpott Tue 03-Nov-15 09:11:28

As far as I know you unscrew the ring around the button to be able to take the kids off the toilet

canyou Tue 03-Nov-15 09:13:35

Put pressure one the outer ring and twist and it will open at least thst is what I do right or wrong

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 03-Nov-15 09:15:41

Kids grin

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Tue 03-Nov-15 09:24:42

Kids might actually be the answer with their vice-like fingers! Will try a bit more brute force twisting the ring. Thanks

Mellifera Tue 03-Nov-15 10:01:10

Short term solution to stop the water running in our loo is to press the button quickly and release quickly. Water stops.
Our loo does it occasionally, and I have no idea how to get the button off either. Good luck, and I hope PJ turns up. Haven't 'seen' him for a while.

Mellifera Tue 03-Nov-15 10:03:03

unless he nc and is called Ruhrpott now. Don't think he's German though grin

Ruhrpott Tue 03-Nov-15 11:38:05

No I'm not PJ. smile at kids, should have been lid!

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Tue 03-Nov-15 11:55:58

It's still well and truly attached. Going to have to ask my husband to try... Sigh

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Tue 03-Nov-15 11:56:48

I hope PigletJohn is ok and hasn't fallen down a well or anything...

BasinHaircut Tue 03-Nov-15 13:06:49

My toilet with a similar flush used to do this, you could lift it up just enough without detaching to get my hand inside and push 'something' down.

Don't ask me what is was but it worked!

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Tue 03-Nov-15 15:57:32

Ooh I'll give that a go as soon as I've managed to get the little one to nap, thanks basin

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Tue 03-Nov-15 15:57:52

Dread to think what the water bill will look like

wowfudge Tue 03-Nov-15 16:48:47

You can turn off the water to the toilet cistern if you can find the bit on the pipe that looks like a slotted screw head. Use a flat head screwdriver to turn it to the right.

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Tue 03-Nov-15 20:44:08

Fudge i could kiss you. That's at least stopped it running... Maybe I should give in and call a plumber

PigletJohn Wed 04-Nov-15 00:15:28

I was just looking at white cisterns with a sensible flush instead of those horrid buttons, they seem to retail at £50 to £100

I wonder who started the button fashion.

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Wed 04-Nov-15 00:21:18

PigletJohn! You escaped from the well! Thank goodness. I gave up and set fire to the bathroom instead.

Themodernuriahheep Wed 04-Nov-15 01:11:29

Ruhr is Right.

The metal outer circle has a thread on it, afair. It's a bugger to turn. We had exactly this problem. I now don't screw it tight any longer.

When I buy a lottery ticket and immediately win the lottery I shall replace the cistern.

wowfudge Wed 04-Nov-15 06:43:05

Glad to be of service Grizzlebert!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now