Talk

Advanced search

Roughly how much to convert double garage into a home office?

(4 Posts)
SkandiStyle Mon 02-Nov-15 17:30:01

Have given up trying to sell our house and have decided to stay put and do some renovations instead.

Top of the list is we'd like to convert our double garage into a home office for DH. We'd like a couple of sky lites, and large, sliding glass doors to replace the garage door. Would also need insulating and plaster boarding inside. It already has power and lighting.

No idea whether it would be 10k or 20k. Help?

DadDadDad Mon 02-Nov-15 23:54:39

I'm no expert, but we are currently getting our single garage (which is part of the house) converted into a living room including additional electrics and plumbing and a new internal door. Materials and work look like they're going to come out close to £10k. Your space presumably is twice ours, and obviously a lot depends on how fancy things like doors and fittings are, but it feels like it's going to be somewhere over £15k, and maybe closer to £20k. But treat that as a rough starting point! We're in East of England - rates may vary round country?

TheWildRumpyPumpus Tue 03-Nov-15 08:41:23

If it's a separate building you might need to see if you need planning permission to convert it into a 'habitable building', I'm not sure of the rules.

Cost wise, we are in East Mids and were quoted 22k for something similar on a house we considered buying.

Bakeoffcake Tue 03-Nov-15 13:09:16

Yes you wil need to contact the planning dept to find out rules for coversion.

We're in a conservation are so needed to follow specific guidelines.

We did ours about 10 years ago and local builders did it for about 5,000- insulation, plastering, a false ceiling, electrics, putting in another window. (We didn't need a new door as already one on there) but 20,000 sounds a lot of money! (We're in the south)
I'd get several quotes if I were you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now