Talk

Advanced search

Alternatives to wardrobes in guest room

(16 Posts)
Chapsie Sun 01-Nov-15 09:29:36

I don't want to clutte the guest room with loads of big furniture. I already have a chest of drawers by the bed but need somewhere for a guest to hang a jacket or dress for example. Any ideas? It would be the wall opposite the bed I think.
Would a rail look shit? Hooks with coat hangers?

firegirl Sun 01-Nov-15 09:47:53

A hatstand like you'd normally put in a hallway? You can get modern designs or a more traditional wooden one that you could paint to go with the colour scheme of the room...

BoboChic Sun 01-Nov-15 09:49:01

Hay does a very useful small clothes rack with assorted hangers.

errorofjudgement Sun 01-Nov-15 09:49:43

Clothes hook on the back of the door

wowfudge Sun 01-Nov-15 10:06:19

IKEA have shelves with hooks underneath - designed for hallways, but fine for a bedroom. We have a thing of over door hooks in our small bedroom.

FrogFairy Sun 01-Nov-15 12:26:04

An instahanger folds away flat against the wall and they do one that holds photos or a wood version with a pattern on so decorative when not in use.
m.facebook.com/Instahanger

OurBlanche Sun 01-Nov-15 12:29:36

Or shaker pegs... I have a row of different door and drawer knobs in my spare room.

specialsubject Sun 01-Nov-15 13:47:02

over-door hooks tend to wreck doors and sills.

put a couple of smart pegs on the wall, high enough and long enough to allow a hanger to be used. But NOT at walk-into height or placing.

Chapsie Sun 01-Nov-15 13:48:01

Some good ideas here thanks

Chapsie Sun 01-Nov-15 13:48:26

And pleased that none of you have said I HAVE TO have a wardrobe!

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 01-Nov-15 14:01:11

A faux chimney behind the bed can hold small rails front to back on left and right for either double hanging or full hanging on left and right . I did this in a guest room in my home ( old cottage ) as I didn't want a wardrobe in there !

poocatcherchampion Sun 01-Nov-15 17:49:29

We've got a stand alone mirror from IKEA which has a rail and hooks on the back. I love it!

MaynJune Sun 01-Nov-15 17:53:48

No wardrobe here either, just three hooks on the back of the door with hangers provided.

The coatstand is a really nice idea though.

mysteryfairy Sun 01-Nov-15 21:09:02

You don't have to put a wardrobe in...but extra hanging space does mean you can buy more clothes for yourself...

Whilst hooks, stands etc are fine for guests I would avoid using them for your own stuff as over time stuff left out does tend to fade (unevenly too in my experience!)

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sun 01-Nov-15 21:12:40

We have these in all the bedrooms in our holiday house. They work better than a wardrobe because people don't forget to pack things because everything's on view.

KondoAttitude Mon 02-Nov-15 11:49:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now