Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help - where to move

(7 Posts)
LilyFlower2222 Sat 31-Oct-15 09:42:25

Currently live in central London but space has become an issue with 3 children in a council 2 bed flat. No chance of affording right to buy. Looking for a 3/4 bed - almost impossible. Our budget is maximum £270k. We both need to commute to south London for work. Good schools especially secondary school are a priority as dd is very academic and currently in a very good secondary. We know we have no choice about the commute. Just no idea where to go. Thanks

stilllovingmysleep Sat 31-Oct-15 10:48:23

If it were me I would explore areas out of London, towards the south, that would make the commute possible. I'm afraid I don't know much about those areas though in order to advise further. Good luck.

TheOriginalWinkly Sat 31-Oct-15 10:53:22

There's plenty in your budget in Rochester, Kent (like this ), and I believe there are good schools - Kent has the grammar system. The high speed rail takes you into the south/central London stations very quickly.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 31-Oct-15 10:56:28

Yes I was going to suggest Rochester and the other Medway towns.

Dartford is very affordable.

LilyFlower2222 Sun 01-Nov-15 11:42:18

Thanks for the suggestions. We've looked at the areas. We also thought about going north even though commute will be longer and hopefully more house. Any good areas we could consider? Thanks

TheOriginalWinkly Sun 01-Nov-15 12:27:21

The towns and villages around stansted airport (Takeley, Dunmow etc) are lovely but more expensive than the Medway area, and Hertfordshire is more expensive again than Essex. The trains from north of London are (imo) a lot shitter than the ones coming from the south.

PettsWoodParadise Sun 01-Nov-15 14:46:16

Sidcup can offer good value and not too far out. Swanley similarly good value, move a few miles closer and nothing in your budget. Further out Tonbridge has great rail connections.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now