Talk

Advanced search

Lighting Reccomendations

(13 Posts)
needtoloseastone Fri 30-Oct-15 09:50:05

Hi All
Im after a bit of advice really. I need a new light in my hallway and cannot decide both sitting room and lounge have chandeliers so didn't want yet another chandelier in the hall. Everything is either too modern or is a chandelier....I am attaching a pic below so you can see also the hall will be painted next week in f&b Pavilion Grey next week.

Thank you

PigletJohn Fri 30-Oct-15 10:54:13

that house has the look of the 1920's so I think a pendant fitting would be appropriate. You could use a lampshade or an opal glass bowl if you wanted, and easily change it for some other lamp later. If you think you might one day want a chandelier or other heavy item you could include a hook driven into the joist now, and paint it matt white to blend in. If it is close to the ceiling rose it will not draw the eye.

A plain white opal spreads the light without bright spots which look conspicuous. If you go for a shade or open fitting, consider the large round globe lamps, I use 150mm or 100mm ones in open shades, the light is diffused and shadows are soft. A luminaire fixed to the ceiling (not a pendant) is also high and out of eyeline.

In that hall you could also have an uplighter in the corner, with light reflected from the ceiling. Modern LEDs and CFLs run cool and are economical on electricity as long as you avoid downlights and spots (which I think would also spoil the look of your hall). I have strong objections to holes in ceilings. LEDs are still quite low in power but there should be some about as powerful as an old 100W or 150W incandescent within a year. There are some used commercially but they are quite big with exposed coils or tubes. Having a ceiling and a standard or table lamp enables you to have bright or soft lighting according to time and mood. It is still difficult to dim low-energy lights and the technology keeps changing.

unless you get something quite striking, it will blend in and not be noticed.

needtoloseastone Tue 03-Nov-15 10:28:07

thanks Piglet and sorry for the late response I have been down with Tonsillitis. The thing is I want something eye catching in the hallway just not a chandelier as it will take away from the other 2 rooms, and finding something traditional without being a chandelier is what I am struggling with....the search continues sad

etoiledemer Tue 03-Nov-15 12:57:05

Scroll down to the renovated hallway in this blog. That light shade looks great and the hallway looks very like yours although I wonder if it actually lets much light through......

Let me know what you decide on as we have the same dilemma in a very similar hallway!

SoupDragon Tue 03-Nov-15 13:12:25

How about something in this kind of style? It's from BHS

etoiledemer Tue 03-Nov-15 13:33:56

I (the thread hijacker wink) really like that SoupDragon. Do you think that would diffuse plenty of light?

I'm slightly obsessed with this as our current light shade is too effective and makes our hall very gloomy.

SoupDragon Tue 03-Nov-15 13:39:47

I like it too but didn't really want halogen bulbs smile.

TBH, I don't know what the light would be like. I'm sure I've seen it in store and the crystals seemed to let a fair amount through but they do have 101 other lights on at the same time. Obviously the crystals let light through and there are small gaps around them so it should be OK.

Did you check the reviews?

SoupDragon Tue 03-Nov-15 13:40:31

FGS! It's now out of stock anyway sad

SoupDragon Tue 03-Nov-15 13:41:43

The ball shaped one is still online and it may still be in a store.

etoiledemer Tue 03-Nov-15 14:01:07

I'll actually be close to a BHS store today so might just drop in. It's really beautiful and I desperately want it now that it's sold out grin. There were no reviews and I don't like the ball shaped one as much.

Why don't you like halogen? Sorry, I'm new to this stuff.

etoiledemer Tue 03-Nov-15 14:05:05

Have just researched and now know that people don't like halogen because they consume more energy. Shame :-(

SoupDragon Tue 03-Nov-15 14:18:01

Yes, it's the energy really, plus the heat. I do have one halogen light in my bedroom but it is rarely switched on as I use the bedside lamp instead. It just looks beautiful on the ceiling!

Homebase is worth a look for lighting.

etoiledemer Tue 03-Nov-15 14:20:14

Good call. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now