Talk

Advanced search

OnePlanonHouzz layout help please!

(14 Posts)
silversixpence Wed 28-Oct-15 13:52:48

I am considering staying in our house rather than moving. It's a Victorian terrace with lovely high ceilings but is configured wrong imo. I'd like to move the kitchen to the back and turn the dining room into a second reception. The existing kitchen could then be divided into a utility and downstairs cloakroom or possibly a shower room. Is the reception at the rear big enough for an open plan kitchen diner with an island? Would there be enough room for a sofa at the end?

Other opinions welcome smile

lalalonglegs Wed 28-Oct-15 14:14:31

I've seen the back parlour/dining room used as a kitchen diner in the past but it seems a bit silly when you have so much more space at the far back. You could have an island in the back reception but, imo, it wouldn't make the best use of the space available. Good idea to subdivide the old kitchen.

silversixpence Wed 28-Oct-15 14:22:08

Oh so you think it would be better to turn the dining room into a kitchen instead? Didn't think of that, it could work but would need plumbing.

lalalonglegs Wed 28-Oct-15 14:24:32

No - the opposite. The room at behind the front reception room should stay a reception room, the room right at the back should become the kitchen. I'm agreeing with your idea.

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 28-Oct-15 14:44:51

Hi #blushes !!

Sofa, table and an island is quite a few elements - but looks as though in theory it could work ! Coffee tables that pop up to dine at might work with the right sofas too, if you wanted it multi functional ...

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 28-Oct-15 14:45:55

Oh - thought I'd added two sketches ? Here's the second !

silversixpence Wed 28-Oct-15 16:29:30

Thank you! I think a proper dining table might be a squeeze so maybe better to do 2 of the 3, so maybe just kitchen and dining table. I was thinking the second reception could be a nice cosy library/sitting room with fitted bookshelves floor to ceiling on one side - would solve our storage problem!

McBaby Wed 28-Oct-15 16:38:16

It's the same dimensions as our kitchen dining room and I would feel a Island would be too much we have
A full size table galley kitchen (there before we got there) an American fridge freezer and various children's toys. Before kids we did have a sofa in there and the table against the wall but it had to go to get four of us around the table.

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 28-Oct-15 16:49:48

If you had something along the lines of the green layout with dining table and chairs at the end by the doors it should work - just remember that your dinner guests will walk past your kitchen to get to the table - so hide the take out boxes before you claim the credit for cooking fab meals !!!

silversixpence Mon 02-Nov-15 15:27:41

Well we have stuck to the original plan as our offer was accepted in the only house for sale in the area we wanted! Neighbours have done a rear loft and side extension and we are considering knocking down the conservatory and adding a rear extension ( also knocking the kitchen and back reception together). We'd like a utility and cloakroom downstairs as well. Any thoughts on how to configure the space?

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 02-Nov-15 20:58:37

Something like this maybe ?!?

silversixpence Mon 02-Nov-15 21:10:56

Yes that looks great, more or less what we were thinking. What's the red rectangle next to the utility area?

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 02-Nov-15 21:38:59

Low level cabinets /sideboard for serving to /from dining table.

silversixpence Mon 02-Nov-15 21:48:01

Good idea - we actually have one that would fit. I definitely want good built in storage in this house too.

I quite like the layout of this house with the utility and wc side by side

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now