Talk

Advanced search

Unannounced "race to survey"

(6 Posts)
chocorabbit Wed 28-Oct-15 13:05:37

We had made an offer for a house we are trying to buy. Sever offers later we had our offer accepted. My husband was on the phone and gave our final offer and was told to do the survey.

Yesterday they called us to ask who is seeking permission to enter the property. It came out that it was some other buyer or his surveyor which effectively secured them the property.

We were mortified as nobody had mentioned to my husband that other offers were accepted along with ours! We were under the impression that the vendors would chose only one offer, the "best" offer.

Moreover, our broker had asked the day of the viewing whether this was a race to survey or not as to know what to do. A lady at the estate agents had answered "normally it isn't" and since then nobody said anything about it or even implied anything.

Where do we stand now? Is there anything that we can do?

Thanks!

lalalonglegs Wed 28-Oct-15 13:16:01

I don't think there is anything you can do but it is very unethical. Hopefully, you've been dropped before you spent too much.

specialsubject Wed 28-Oct-15 13:27:57

cancel the survey and tell the agent that you are pulling out.

chocorabbit Wed 28-Oct-15 13:40:34

The agent does not expect us now to do a survey as another one is going to take place before ours. And they are offering us another, more expensive house which of course we have rejected. We haven't told them yet "wait a minute, you didn't say so and so" so according to their knowledge (hhmmm) they haven't done anything wrong. I want to know if there is anything else to do before we speak to them or they contact us to view any more properties.

lalalonglegs Wed 28-Oct-15 14:21:45

You can tell them how pissed off you are but, really, there's nothing you can do but seethe. If you have a house to sell I suppose you can tell them that you won't be letting them handle the sale but, if you live in England and Wales, I'm afraid that's it sad.

lalalonglegs Wed 28-Oct-15 14:22:23

England or Wales.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now