Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calling PigletJohn! (Or anyone else knowledgeable about boilers)

(5 Posts)
PenguindreamsofDraco Wed 28-Oct-15 09:37:47

We have a crappy old knackered but still just about working boiler. We can't replace it yet because we haven't decided where to put the new one.

We have decided where to put the lovely pressurised cylinder, and that work is due to start soon.

Is there any reason hooking a new cylinder up to an old boiler won't work? Our builders are very much of the mentality that they will do what they're told to do but they won't identify any possible pitfalls upfront so I am constantly second guessing myself.

Thank you anyone with insight flowers

PigletJohn Wed 28-Oct-15 16:44:45

A cylinder can run off any boiler, but you ought really to get a heating engineer or at least a plumber to fit it.

Presumably you are doing away with the cold water tank in t5he loft. Have you measured the incoming flow? Fill a bucket at the kitchen cold tap, and at the garden and utility taps if you have them; time it, calculate how many litres per minute you get.

What is the colour and diameter of your incoming cold water supply pipe?

PigletJohn Wed 28-Oct-15 16:48:24

forgot to say

You are getting an unvented (pressurised) cylinder, so it must be installed by someone with the G3 qualification. Many heating engineers (not all) are qualified.

It is highly unlikely that an unvented cylinder will explode, but the safety devices and correct installation are to protect you against that risk.

PenguindreamsofDraco Wed 28-Oct-15 18:39:16

Thanks! We have had the pipes out to the mains extended etc so incoming flow will be impressive apparently once TW do the hook up smile Yes, it's invented, going in the cellar, & freeing up a lovely big loft once the tank is removed.
Builders are irritating but I am assured properly qualified, but I will check that one specifically smileflowers

PenguindreamsofDraco Wed 28-Oct-15 18:41:00

Sorry, should have said, builders is short hand, they are a heating firm much beloved by Checkatrade so I am hoping all will be well thlsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now