Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fixtures & Fittings

(8 Posts)
Lemansky Tue 27-Oct-15 11:34:27

Hello,

we've got to the fixtures and fittings part of the house buying process. We asked out buyers if they wanted to buy our combined washing machine/tumble dryer and the wardrobe we had built in our bedroom.

We've been upfront from the start about this, but hadn't heard anything about it so thought I'd check with the EA.

The wardrobe cost us a lot of money to have built, so we were going to get it disnamtled and rebuilt in our new house. It'll fit somewhere so not worried about that. I do hope they want to buy it though as it's nice and works well with the room.

They don't want to pay for the washing machine, which is fair enough. But we are moving to a house where they're leaving the washing machine so aren't planning to take it with us - is it ok to leave it in the property? We didn't know this at the time of filling in our fixtures and fittings form, otherwise we wouldn't have asked them to buy it!

Will this be ok? Thanks for any advice.

Woobeedoo Tue 27-Oct-15 11:40:00

As someone who moved into a house that the previous owners left stuffed with toys and furniture they didn't want which we then had to pay the council to take away, I'd say please do not leave anything there they say they don't want. I recently discovered a local Facebook sellers page for the area where I live (if only it existed 15 years ago!) so maybe see if there is similar for near you and advertise it on there?

Lemansky Tue 27-Oct-15 12:26:17

Thanks Woobeedoo, that's a good point. I have gone back to the EA to see whether they'd want it if we included it with the house purchase so will see.

I have checked back and it looks like the people selling the house we're moving to, would like us to purchase their washing machine. I don't know whether it would be easier to say no and take ours, but then they could just leave theirs behind...although ours is a washer/dryer so no idea if it can be plumbed in/fitted in the same place - I don't suppose anyone would know about that?

LIZS Tue 27-Oct-15 12:29:20

I would take yours if it works well. As to the wardrobe , will you really go to the trouble and expense of dismantling and rebuilding it. If I were your buyers I'd just be taking the chance that you wouldn't.

wowfudge Tue 27-Oct-15 12:42:29

If I were buying somewhere where the vendor wanted me to pay for a built in wardrobe, I'd say no. I know the F&B form is the bible for what's being left, but asking for additional payment or taking our something built in is bad form - where do you stop? You wouldn't take the fitted kitchen out I take it?

wowfudge Tue 27-Oct-15 12:42:50

F&F form

SocksRock Tue 27-Oct-15 12:47:15

I would assume built in furniture was being left and would be furious if I was expected to pay for it, to be honest. Not so bothered about washing machines being left as they are easy to get rid of on free cycle.

Lemansky Tue 27-Oct-15 12:54:30

We've always been very upfront about removing it if they don't want it, it's not been sprung on them and it wasn't included in the Estate Agents details etc either.

I do completely understand your points though. It was a new build flat with absolulty no storage, so we had a very nice wardrobe built and they've said they don't want it, regardless of having to pay for it or not.

We'd be able to dismantle it ourselves and wouldn't have to pay to get it rebuilt and will of course sort out & repaint the wall afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now