Talk

Advanced search

Log - Wood Burners

(29 Posts)
editharnold Mon 26-Oct-15 14:25:52

Hi
We have decided to buy a wood burner/Log burner but my dh and I are at logger heads as to what to buy. So have decided to ask friends which of our two choices they think would look best.
I like the Stovax View bottom of page on right, DH wants the Yeomans Exe top left on page.
Also can any one advise as to whether it should be a wood burner or multi fuel?
I need to order the stove this week, so it can be fitted before Christmas, so I would really really appreciate any help TY

oh link to stove www.woodyslogburners.com/stoves.html

lk26 Mon 26-Oct-15 14:32:04

We have a clear view wood burner. It's great. Just make sure you get the right size for the room. To big and you will cook and too small and hard to heat a room

SixtyFootDoll Mon 26-Oct-15 14:36:37

Multi fuel probably only needed if you are looking to use the burner to heat a boiler etc;

SixtyFootDoll Mon 26-Oct-15 14:37:58

I like the Stovax one best. Clean and modern looking but I guess it depends on your house and style.

Helenluvsrob Mon 26-Oct-15 14:40:21

We have one similar to the stovax , it's lovely. The other is twee cottagy.

We got ours ( can't remember the brand) as it could have a multifuel grate to buy separately but the shop lady was right- keep your options open and add later but they have had about 1 person come back for the multifuel ( and that was an elderly person used to a coal fire). I was really happy with her honestly, shje could have easily said " well buy the multifuel grate anyway"

Dismalfuckers Mon 26-Oct-15 14:41:48

Stovax, as I like to see as much fire as possible.

A straight woodburner is much less messy and heats a room beautifully, so we just have them rather than multi fuel.

The main thing with them is to get really dry wood; find a source and guard it closely grin

OnlyHereForTheCamping Mon 26-Oct-15 14:42:30

Multi fuel isn't necessary ime. Ours is but we only burn wood. The yeomans are horrible imo too ye olde for my liking. Stoves looks good. The most important thing is how fit for use they are in your room

SwedishEdith Mon 26-Oct-15 14:43:07

I prefer the Morso <unhelpful> Of your 2 choices, I prefer yours. Definitely get a multi-fuel.

Marmitelover55 Mon 26-Oct-15 15:28:38

We also have a clear view and love it. Your choice is much nicer than your DH's.

MamaMary Mon 26-Oct-15 15:34:17

I prefer your husband's choice! Though probably because I like the country cottage look.

Go with multi-fuel: Gives you more options. We have a multi-fuel stove but use it to burn only wood 99% of the time. You can adjust the grate in ours so it essentially becomes wood-burner when you want it to.

Our stove is very efficient (Charnwood) and heats 9 radiators.

If you need to keep the fire in all night, or want extra heat, it's good to have the option of using coal.

RB68 Mon 26-Oct-15 15:50:44

we have a yeomans devon 9 I don't find it heats the room efficiently even burning kiln dried wood. I like multifuel as you can switch to burn coal (hotter) if needed or a mixed start it coal and burn wood as well - we tend to burn just wood unless its brass monkey weather (we did have one minus 12 winter not too long ago and the coal came out) but we are also centrally heated just an old single skin property.

My parents have something more like your fav. and it does seem to throw more heat into the room. I would make a decision based on the decor of the room to be honest - the yeoman is larger inside and will burn 3 to 4 logs in one go whereas my parents you need smaller logs and it takes ne or two - air flow control is better and I believe they are more efficient given cast iron old fashioned one has to have vents opened or closed and its more guess work than a science and there are leaks around it. It wouldn't be my choice if we replaced it I would go smaller and more modern burn hotter less maintenance and cleaning too

inmyshoos Mon 26-Oct-15 18:57:42

We have an old yeoman multifuel stove which is our only source of heating. It is a good workhorse. Feeds 8 radiators and heats our water. I like that it takes 3 or 4 logs otherwise I'd be stoking it all day.
Multifuel is handy for us as getting decent wood can be tricky in our area (everyone has woodburners!!)

PolterGoose Mon 26-Oct-15 20:24:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Mon 26-Oct-15 20:25:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RingDownRingUp Mon 26-Oct-15 22:19:10

Morso!

Multifuel gets much hotter than just a wood burner and coal is much cheaper than wood to burn (provided you get it in bulk from a coal merchant rather than bags from a petrol station).

DoreenLethal Mon 26-Oct-15 22:25:33

Morso - which is what we have. But i prefer your choice, the other one is veery twee. I like the larger viewing area.

SocksRock Mon 26-Oct-15 22:31:30

We have two Town & Country ones that heat the downstairs of our house, and they really do kick out the heat. I love them, they are very controllable and take a decent amount of wood.

www.townandcountryfires.co.uk/product/the-little-thurlow/

These ones, with the log store underneath.

PrimalLass Tue 27-Oct-15 15:53:34

I'm not keen on either. The Stovax looks like a TV.

I prefer the Morso too, and it is a good compromise between the two. We have a Morso Squirrel, and it is very good.

VeryPunny Tue 27-Oct-15 15:55:29

We have the Stovax View and it is very good indeed. We chose the multi fuel option - we mainly burn wood but have used anthracite in the past. It was snowing when we used the anthracite and we had several windows open grin

Bastardshittits Tue 27-Oct-15 19:41:03

I would get a stove fitter in to quote before you set your heart on a particular woodburner. We bought a house which had a multifuel stove in previously. The stove was removed prior to sale but the flue remained. Bought a reasonably priced and similar sized stove from eBay, rang round some fitters asking them to fit it but they won't touch it. The fitter gets a commission on the stove and the job on its own doesn't seem to appeal to any of them!

RingDownRingUp Tue 27-Oct-15 22:01:09

I found that the stove showroom tried to push particular stoves, the brands that the OP has suggested iirc, but the independent fitters we got to quote for fitting had very different ideas of what was best (all said Morso or Charnwood).

didireallysaythat Tue 27-Oct-15 22:57:06

What kind of space, hearth etc have you got ? I think your DH choice would work in an open stone hearth, wood lentel, cottage like setting, while yours would go in a Nordic white minimisalist setting with no mantel piece just flush to the wall.

Ooh. And before you order check that Harridge Stoves in Somerset can't do it cheaper. I've had two morsos from them, they bettered all quotes we had, really easy to buy from them, good communication and delivered in a matter of days (stock dependent). Not a big web presence but when you settle on a stove see if they can get you a better price (they probably don't stock all models).

editharnold Wed 28-Oct-15 12:45:06

Thank you so much for the helpful advice (more confused than I was before lol)
At the moment it looks like the Stovax is slightly ahead on votes, much to my DH annoyance!! but he is now thinking that maybe a more contemporary stove would suit the lounge better.
Just had some info from HETAS that says multi fuel best if want option to burn coal (with grate open), good if you run out of wood but say Must Never burn wood and coal together as coal gives off a lot of moisture and stops the wood burning properly as it reduces the temperature and therefore the gases released from the wood don't get burnt off (which when they do actually releases more heat!) and can lead to a build up of creosote/clinker inside the chimney. (looks like tar?)
So we are going for a multi fuel so we have the option to burn coal if we need to. Will decide which stove we are going with on Friday.

TalkinPease Wed 28-Oct-15 14:17:19

I have an Aarrow Ecoburn
www.aradastoves.com/stoves/ecoburn-plus-5
max amount of glass so you can see the flames is the main thing
it came from Harridge in Somerset

my hearth is slabs of garden slate : much cheaper than stuff "designed" for a hearth

cressetmama Wed 28-Oct-15 17:46:03

All about the fuel that will be easiest for you. Do you have access to a good hardwood log supplier? Do you have somewhere to dry it for a year? We buy tons of logs each year to store for 12-18 months so they are properly seasoned when we burn them after once getting dreadful wet logs which don't burn and coat the chimney and flue with a tarry clinker that is a pain to remove. With the increasingly popularity of wood burners, it is getting more difficult to find a really reliable source.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: