Talk

Advanced search

How hard is it to hang wallpaper?

(10 Posts)
AnneSansTete Mon 26-Oct-15 08:15:30

I've been let down by decorators and desperately need to get house sorted before LO arrives in December. I can do the painting myself but bought some rather expensive wallpaper for the nursery. I've been watching youtube videos which make it look easy, but is it? I bought exactly the right amount of paper so can't afford to mess it up!

Tia

Skippedthelightfandango Mon 26-Oct-15 08:29:39

it isn't hard, honestly! I love wallpapering - I find it really therapeutic.

If it is expensive paper though I would be wary, like all things, practice makes perfect.

One thing to bear in mind though, the LO will have no idea whether or not there are dancing unicorns on the wall! Having said that DS2 was due the first week in January and I spend Christmas eve up a ladder wallpapering because I suddenly decided that wallpaper in his nursery DID matter. Funny things hormones!

magimedi Mon 26-Oct-15 08:40:39

I hate wallpapering and am totally rubbish at it.

If I were you I'd buy a roll of lining paper (which is cheap) & practice with that first. If you can do that well then go ahead.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 26-Oct-15 08:52:59

I don't think its particularly hard (it can't be - I've done it successfully). The only thing is lining it up, getting it placed correctly on the wall (particularly if there is a pattern) so I find its usually better to have 2 of you - one holds the paper in the air very close to the wall and the other lines it up before pressing it to the wall.

When you say you bought exactly enough - did you allow for the pattern repeat and the fact that you need a little extra top and bottom of each panel?

AnneSansTete Mon 26-Oct-15 08:57:07

Ooh namechanged I didn't know you needed extra bits!

Tbh the walls in my bedroom should probably be replastered before I paint it so maybe I'll practise with some liner paper in there first.

Thanks for all the advice x

namechangedtoday15 Mon 26-Oct-15 09:08:18

Is the paper patterned? If so, on the label it should say what the "repeat" is - that is the length of paper you might "lose" when you hang the 2nd width trying to line it up with the first width if you see what I mean. Our bedroom wallpaper repeat was about 50cm. You probably won't lose that much every time, but you'll lose some of that each time.

And then you need probably 5cm or so (on top of the amount you lose for the pattern repeat) at the top and bottom of each width so you can cut it properly with a perfect edge.

It really isn't that hard, but its worth practicing first if you don't want to spoil the more expensive paper.

turdfairynomore Mon 26-Oct-15 09:13:13

This'd time last year my then 17 yr olds DS decided that he was going to learn to wallpaper! His first job.....hall, stairs and landing! Lined. Papered. Painted. Great job!

PrimalLass Mon 26-Oct-15 09:16:41

Lining paper is fine - there is nothing that a bit of polyfilla and decorators caulk can't fix.

But I find pattered wallpaper really tricky because you can't draw on it etc to get your cutting lines straight (though you can probably get special chalk for it), and it is very important to not get paste on the face of the paper, so your pasting table must be very clean every time.

moopymoodle Mon 26-Oct-15 12:18:30

I do all my own. Started with a feature wall and now I can do lining paper and patterns round fiddly frames etc.

If it's just a feature wall your doing and your walls are good condition turn I think you will find it rather easy

Lenazabaglione Mon 26-Oct-15 22:16:40

Really enjoy painting etc. generally but can't do wallpaper. Paid a decorator to hang mine, was cheaper than a divorce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now