Talk

Advanced search

Windows all steamed up this morning

(16 Posts)
howtorebuild Sun 25-Oct-15 14:15:11

This has never happened before.

Next door/semi already have added loads of insulation outside the external walls, completed yesterday at about 8pm, though still internally hammering today. Would this make both homes damp? I resent now having to spend a couple of course cold each day because of their insulation, if that's why this is suddenly happening.

specialsubject Sun 25-Oct-15 15:23:14

anything to do with the first cold night of the year last night?

why would their insulation make you cold?

wowfudge Sun 25-Oct-15 15:31:45

Were you up before the heating came on this morning? With the clocks changing, it's possible you were up at your usual time, an hour earlier than the clocks were showing and just saw the effects of the cold when you are not used to seeing them.

howtorebuild Sun 25-Oct-15 15:33:02

I did not say insulation made me cold.confused I was cold having Windows open to let the moisture out. We have never had moisture like this before.

howtorebuild Sun 25-Oct-15 15:34:32

This took hours to go, the moisture was a meter high, there is normally none.

specialsubject Sun 25-Oct-15 15:42:23

I can see no reason why their insulation would make your house cold.

steamed up windows are a laws of physics job after a cold night. Takes 10 minutes or less to go round and wipe up, and an equal time of ventilation is plenty assuming you don't live in Buckingham Palace.

has anything changed in your house? Long showers? Cooking with pan lids off? drying washing indoors?

Ridingthegravytrain Sun 25-Oct-15 15:44:09

Ours steamed up last night too for the first time

howtorebuild Sun 25-Oct-15 15:48:23

The installation hasn't made the house cold hmm again, opening Windows made the house cold. The only change is next door has very thick insulation, took plaster off the walls, then plastered inside and outside the past few months.

elephantoverthehill Sun 25-Oct-15 15:50:43

My bedroom was steamed up this morning too. Made a mental note to buy one of those moisture traps from Poundland. I am obviously breathing too much grin

ChippyMinton Sun 25-Oct-15 15:59:12

Was it cold last night? Our windows had condensation for the first time since last winter. And heating wasn't on due to time change.

LBOCS2 Sun 25-Oct-15 16:17:18

When it's much colder outside than in, the condensation from day to day living will condense on the coldest point in your house - in this case the windows.

I think that next door's insulation is just a coincidence; if anything it should help your property as the adjoining wall is unlikely to be affected by theirs being cool if they go away and leave their heating off, etc.

BumWad Sun 25-Oct-15 16:39:34

Get yourself a dehumidifier

ShowOfHands Sun 25-Oct-15 16:53:19

You're misunderstanding people. You said I resent now having to spend a couple of course cold each day because of their insulation implying that their new insulation is the reason your windows have steamed up, and as you said yourself, the reason you are cold. People are only responding to they way you phrased your miffedness.

I doubt it's anything whatsoever to do with your neighbour's insulation.

We've had steamed up windows and condensation for the first time this week. It's just the weather. Either wipe it up or get a dehumidifier. No reason to be opening your windows but even if you do go the opening windows route, you only need to open them a tiny bit and for a surprisingly short amount of time.

specialsubject Sun 25-Oct-15 20:20:45

give up on this one. Probably got a house full of wet washing and just WON'T change. Same as the one last week.

top tip, OP - if you won't listen to suggestions don't bother asking.

enjoy your damp windows. 10 mins work would sort it but you refuse to consider that. Learning a little basic science would be good too.

LPLPLP Sun 25-Oct-15 20:56:36

I would imagine that their External Wall Insulation would only benefit you as any heat they do lose will go to your half of the semi. The job of adding External Wall Insulation is very weather dependent so I can fully understand that they've been working solidly to get the work completed during a short decent weather spell so you might have to bear with them on that.

howtorebuild Mon 26-Oct-15 00:16:10

Wet washing? Where did you pluck that from? confused I dry clothing outside or tumble dry not inside the house

I elaborated twice, I was cold from having opened the Windows, which was to air the place and get rid of the condensation.

Hopefully all will be ok tomorrow.

It's good to know it's not next doors work causing the problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now