Talk

Advanced search

Glass ball cap for stairs

(15 Posts)
gabbybaby Sat 24-Oct-15 13:16:23

Does anyone have a suggestion of where to find a glass ball to go on the stair posts? I've looked online but can't find them. This kind of thing:
www.houzz.com/photos/454549/Spindrift-traditional-staircase-other-metro
Thanks

wowfudge Sat 24-Oct-15 16:07:46

I can't link to it, but www.doorhandles.co.uk have a crystal newel post finial, which is what you are looking for. Not cheap though.

gabbybaby Sat 24-Oct-15 16:43:00

Thanks wowfudge. I found those ones earlier but couldn't find any others. I don't want to spend that much so was hoping to find something a bit cheaper.

gabbybaby Sat 24-Oct-15 16:46:40

what about something acrylic to give the same look? Any suggestions?

Bimblywibble Sat 24-Oct-15 19:43:20

Any reason why you couldn't use a traditional "crystal ball"? Eg
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110mm-Large-Clear-Glass-Crystal-Ball-Wiccan-Pagan-Gypsy-Fortune-Teller-Spritual-/151852256795
Superglue it into a suitable wooden stand.

wowfudge Sun 25-Oct-15 05:57:41

Acrylic will scratch and mark far more easily than glass, that's the only thing. As for gluing on a crystal ball - firstly you be able to see the glue and secondly the glass finials are attached to a bolt that screws into the newel post. Interesting idea though!

gabbybaby Sun 25-Oct-15 17:41:36

Thanks! I think I need to give up on the idea sad
Any other ideas for something interesting on the stair posts?

wowfudge Sun 25-Oct-15 17:43:43

Have a look on eBay for newel post finials - not a huge selection, but some of them look good for something a bit different.

FishWithABicycle Sun 25-Oct-15 17:46:05

We visited an amazing place on the eastern edge of dartmoor called the house of marbles where we watched beautiful glass knobs for bannisters being hand-blown. I expect they will do them by mail order too...

ConnieSpry Mon 26-Oct-15 00:59:48

I have something a little similar which is actually a 100mm curtain pole finial and I think it was from these people. www.jagodesigns.co.uk/brochure/jago-designs-brochure.pdf
IIRC we phoned them to say what we wanted and they made them so that we could screw them in to the newel post.
This is a while ago but it might be worth giving them a call and see if they can help you.
Mine are acrylic and still look ok after a few years. Unfortunately I can't remember any more useful details but it might be worth giving them a call.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 26-Oct-15 16:35:35

Oh great. Now I want a crystal newel post finial.

sad

Nothing else will do now.

gabbybaby Mon 26-Oct-15 16:42:58

Let me know if you find one fluffycloudland smile (for reasonable money!). I couldn't find the place fishwithabicycle was referring to

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 26-Oct-15 16:51:51

I suspect we will just have to pay it as our punishment for not having gloss white like everyone else.

It's so glamorous.

OurBlanche Mon 26-Oct-15 17:01:09

House of marbles www.houseofmarbles.com/

FishWithABicycle Mon 26-Oct-15 19:45:15

Thanks ourblanche - my phone was misbehaving last night and I couldn't copy and paste a link - that website shows one part of the site but the bit (in the same building) where they were doing the glass blowing was teignvalleyglass.com/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now