Talk

Advanced search

lovely experience of buying a house

(11 Posts)
KierkegaardGroupie Thu 22-Oct-15 20:35:51

We bought a house earlier this year. Very competitive market.11 other offers. Somehow we got it.
We made a thank you card for the former owners.....they were selling the home after their parents passed. The only owners since 1955.

Anyway we basically had them round for a cup of tea to give them the card.
They turned up with a huge basket of goodies. Bubbly, cheeses, brownies.....amazing photos of the house through the years.....and 4 tickets to Disneyland. Just such a lovely experience. The only house I have ever bought....and whilst it was stressful at the time we are so happy and then this to top it off. What kind people. The kids are so excited. Just wanted to share a story of wonderful people who sold us our wonderful house.

Laquila Thu 22-Oct-15 20:37:20

4 tickets to DISNEYLAND?

KierkegaardGroupie Thu 22-Oct-15 20:40:04

Yes. In an envelope saying...have a magical day. I guess another thank you card us in order. Just so incredibly kind.

Snoopadoop Thu 22-Oct-15 20:45:50

4 TICKETS TO DISNEYLAND?!

Errmmm do you live near Disneyland? Maybe you overpaid on the house and they were feeling guilty?!

KierkegaardGroupie Thu 22-Oct-15 20:52:57

Ha....no we did not overpay. We got lower per square foot than almost every house we have seen since. We are 45 mins from Disneyland. Everything goes over asking in the area we live in due to housing shortage and outstanding schools....We should be buying them the hamper. Just incredibly lovely kind people. But still we are so touched by the experience.

IShouldBeSoLurky Thu 22-Oct-15 22:36:29

Wow! What generous people. I'm imagining you having to up the ante and give them, say, a fabulous meal out at a posh restaurant, and them responding with a weekend away in a romantic hotel, and then you giving them flights to Rome, then them giving you a new car, and it all escalating until eventually you say, "YOU'RE SO LOVELY, JUST HAVE THE HOUSE BACK." grin

KierkegaardGroupie Fri 23-Oct-15 05:19:47

Haha...that is so funny. I did have that slightly anxious thought. Like our cookies and tea were non superlative in comparison.
We are going to put on an Xmas brunch....but honestly...what utterly lovely people and we got their family home tenderly tended for 60 years. We just feel so lucky. Who knew buying a house could make you feel so warm and fuzzy....I feel so strange when I look at their family portrait taken outside the home.Given to us in a lovely frame. Sad that that family is no longer here but all grown up...life is so short. Forever homes are never forever really.

BasinHaircut Fri 23-Oct-15 08:32:40

They have you a framed family portrait? That's really really weird and creepy.

Sorry OP, but I'd be worried!

KierkegaardGroupie Fri 23-Oct-15 15:51:10

No...We did ask the agent for a photo if the family wanted to give one as there is so much history in the house....them being the only owners ever and we thought it would be nice to just put it somewhere in the house in memory of the family that had this home for so long. Anyway they brought a beautiful picture in a frame which is from the 60 s and we will treasure it. There are the kids' hand prints next to the dad' s out in the cement where they worked on the garden. How many houses have one family for 60 years? We are only the second owners. Anyway the agent must have passed on our request.

KierkegaardGroupie Fri 23-Oct-15 16:09:33

Maybe it is a case of sentimental buyers meet sentimental sellers.

thatstoast Fri 23-Oct-15 17:06:34

If my seller turned up with tickets to Disneyland i would be mortified. [cynical brit emoticon]

Good on America for getting over themselves and just doing nice things for the sake of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now