Talk

Advanced search

Need some advice on Sunbury/Feltham/Weybridge/Ashford (Surrey)

(11 Posts)
newbieme15 Tue 20-Oct-15 22:38:05

Hi, we have a budget of around 320K and would like to buy a 2bed house(ideally) either in Sunbury, Weybridge, Feltham or Ashford. we have a DD 3months old and though I'm currently on maternity leave, I plan to go back to work mid next year.

Like scores of other peeps, we would like somewhere quite green and safe with good schools and an easy 30ish minute commute to London, so suggestion for any other area is welcome smile

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or pointers about where to live, or things to watch out for when looking at properties or roads. Thanks!

Maplessglobe Tue 20-Oct-15 22:59:30

Hello. I only know weybridge because my excellent hairdresser moved there. It's sweet, with a nice little high street and nice looking houses. Have lots of friends in Walton-on-thames which is very nice, too, with convenient shopping centre and fast train to Waterloo (25 mins IIRC). My friends love it. Have no idea of prices around there but I imagine your budget is doable.
Congratulations on the DD!

Maplessglobe Tue 20-Oct-15 23:02:08

Errr I know words other than 'nice' blush

desi279 Tue 20-Oct-15 23:02:29

Not Feltham. That budget would only buy a room in Weybridge. Ashford and Sunbury are fine, particularly lower Sunbury. However, Sunbury is on the slow trainline.

Maplessglobe Tue 20-Oct-15 23:09:26

Yes, desi is right about the budget for weybridge. Although there seem to be lots of flats and this house is £350K

suzyrut Wed 21-Oct-15 10:19:12

I've lived in a few of those places and can recommend Weybridge and ex-MIL lives in lower sunbury but desi is right about it being on the slow train. I think it's about 50 minutes from Waterloo and you wouldn't get much in lower sunbury for that, you would definitely be more the Feltham side of Sunbury

Have you thought about Byfleet/New Haw/West Byfleet. They are on the same train line as Weybridge but next stops along. I think you would get a reasonable house for your budget. Schools seem pretty good round there too. We have moved out this way and it's definitely leafy.

Something like this www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-33057105.html

cestlavielife Wed 21-Oct-15 10:29:37

where do you sit to eat in that cottage? no room in lounge or kitchen... floor area total not much bigger than a studio flat Total area: approx. 43.3sq. Metres (466.5 sq. Feet)

newbieme15 Wed 21-Oct-15 12:07:17

Thanks all for your inputs and info!
@Maplessglobe - Did check Walton-on-thames but only available options in our budget are either flats or maisonettes..
@Suzyrut - Hadn't considered Byfleet/West Byfleet,will definitely have a look and see if I find anything in our budget.

Any suggestions on options available for baby & mum activities in these areas? They seem like family friendly areas, but is any area better with regards to activities than the other?

suzyrut Wed 21-Oct-15 15:52:10

We do monkey music which is nice, though quite expensive. I only moved out this way after going back to work so know playgroups in Hampton better.

Apologies if the house I linked too was too small, there are others that I am sure you could eat in smile

ReadtheSmallPrint Wed 21-Oct-15 19:49:07

Egham?

It's a bit further out than Feltham but much nicer.

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53744114.html

ChippyMinton Thu 22-Oct-15 00:09:25

Ashford is good for families, several good primary schools to consider, and pre-schools.

slightly over budget but in a popular area and maybe scope for room in the loft. The market moves quickly and good stuff doesn't hang around.

Station is outside the London travelcard zones, so it's more expensive to travel from here than Feltham.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now