Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Changes to council tax following extension

(15 Posts)
GreenSpaghetti Tue 20-Oct-15 22:09:58

Does anyone know if I need to inform my local council about changes to my house following an extension for council tax reasons? Just wondering if it is my responsibility to let them know (and decide whether to move me up a band!) or whether it is something I can leave to them? Don't want to not do anything and then get hit with a backdated bill if my paymnents change. Thanks

CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 20-Oct-15 22:11:36

I think it depends if there is an extra bedroom or not?

Tanfastic Tue 20-Oct-15 22:12:18

Hope not, I didn't!

However they passed the planning permission so I maybe assumed it would go hand in hand....<waits for someone more knowledgeable to come along> confused

CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 20-Oct-15 22:13:09

I think it depends if the extension has added on an extra bedroom?

CurlyhairedAssassin Tue 20-Oct-15 22:13:50

Whoops

titchy Tue 20-Oct-15 22:14:53

I don't think it will affect you. I think any increase will be applied to the next owner.

Tanfastic Tue 20-Oct-15 22:15:59

Just looked it up for my area and it goes on value of property so mine is the same as although we had a very big extension the value didn't go up significantly.

Pico2 Tue 20-Oct-15 22:18:21

When we moved into our house we were sent a letter saying that it was to be reassessed due to the extra room over the garage. It seemed that the trigger wasn't just the extra room, but the sale to us.

JustWantToBeDorisAgain Tue 20-Oct-15 22:54:01

We added an extra bedroom some years ago and I checked this out at the time, the banding changes ( or is reviewed) on the sale of the property.

We are currently selling and our property already has a review notice posted against it by the local council so it is likely to be adjusted ( we added a bedroom and a garage)

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Tue 20-Oct-15 22:59:56

Definitely applies when property is sold. We added a large single storey extension to our last house and having checked the VOA site a few months after we completed the council tax had gone up two bands. As Doris says they flag it up once the work has been done though.

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 21-Oct-15 07:15:02

The VOA is informed by building control of any alterations/extensions, plus planning permission and they also monitor sale prices of houses when they are higher than expected.

If you needed planning or building regs they put a flag next to your house on the VOA website which says it may be rebanded after a sale. You can check this yourself on their website.

The old rates system would apply any price increase to the current owner making people reluctant to do extensions. The newish Council Tax system waits until the new owner benefits from the alterations.

I used to work in Council Tax.

VeryPunny Wed 21-Oct-15 07:17:34

It only happens after a sale and you don't necessarily have to have added a bedroom. When we bought our house it was band C, however previous owners had added a large downstairs extension and after the sale we were rebanded to D.

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 21-Oct-15 07:18:09

Just looked my own house up on VOA website, you put your postcode in, mine has a "improvement indicator" next to it. We did a kitchen extension and converted a double garage into a room.

It may take a few weeks to have the indicator applied.

TalkinPeece Wed 21-Oct-15 13:45:12

Tee hee : just looked up my house on that site.
The banding does not agree with my bills smile

sparechange Wed 21-Oct-15 15:49:49

Unwilling
That website is really interesting, and I think they've made a mistake...
Our house, which was renovated before we bought it, hasn't got an improvement indicator.
But our next door neighbour, who has lived there for 40 years and hasn't done a spot of work in that time (other than getting DH to go and do DIY for him), has got one

I think someone at the council has ticked the wrong box at some point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now