Advanced search

Changes to council tax following extension

(10 Posts)
GreenSpaghetti Tue 20-Oct-15 22:09:26

Does anyone know if I need to inform my local council about changes to my house following an extension for council tax reasons? Just wondering if it is my responsibility to let them know (and decide whether to move me up a band!) or whether it is something I can leave to them? Don't want to not do anything and then get hit with a backdated bill if my paymnents change. Thanks

dream75 Wed 21-Oct-15 11:36:10

Your band will only change if you sell your house.unless your house is sold your council tax band will remain the same

TalkinPeece Wed 21-Oct-15 11:51:46

Your band will only change if you sell your house.unless your house is sold your council tax band will remain the same

my house went up two bands even before I got my sign off

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 21-Oct-15 12:42:08

Talkin there are two identical threads on this topic.

But you categorically should not have had a band amendment for the extension you did. You should still be on the same band with a "improvement indicator" on the VOA (Valuation Office Authority) website.

I used to work in Council tax.

How long had you lived at the property before the extension was built? I am really confused by your immediate amendment. My own double garage conversion and kitchen extension are marked as "improvement indicators" which means it will probably be re-banded but only when I sell.

TalkinPeece Wed 21-Oct-15 13:42:12

We added a bedroom, a bathroom, a reception room, an office and a utility room
it made our house larger than any of the local detached ones
I'm quite happy to pay the council tax on a 4 bed house
because when they hassle about final sign off I'll give them the choice of refunding the money or signing off grin

We'd lived here 12 years before the work and 6 years since.

Nearly 1/3 of houses in this city are in the same situation as me
different councils do different things

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 21-Oct-15 16:40:45

Talkin that is truly shocking. On the old rates system this used to happen and so it stopped people improving their houses. After the whole poll tax debacle they came up with council tax which seemed to work better.

But the new deal was that you could extend and improve your home without financial penalty. It only got rebanded on resale.

I know that councils do get to decide some thing for themselves now but I didn't realise this was one of them. 2nd home discount was one of them.

I don't know whether you want to tell me the council you fall under either publically or PM me, but I am really curious as to how they can do this. confused

TalkinPeece Wed 21-Oct-15 17:29:41

I'm not shouting too much because my house has never been fully signed off.
They said I needed smoke detectors. I told them to look at the ceiling.
They said I needed fire doors - I asked how an open door was meant to stop a fire.
They stamped off into the distance and never came back.

A few weeks later I got re-banded : which to my mind says "we accept your house is finished"

I've checked with my insurance company and they know that tens of thousands of houses are not signed off, all over the country.

People only tidy up their paperwork when they come to sell.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Wed 21-Oct-15 18:38:18

Talkin - that seems very odd and unfair as the VOA site states -

"Improvement indicator - this shows that improvements have been made to the property that might result in the Council Tax band changing if a "relevant transaction" takes place, for example if the property is sold."

Makes me wonder what they consider a "relevant transaction" in your own case?

As I stated on the other, duplicate thread we extended our last house by around 500 sq ft. It was a kitchen & utility room extension with double height vaulted ceiling. Completed in 2012 and signed off. We sold in 2014 and a couple of months later when checking the VOA site I noticed the house had gone up two bands......

dream75 Wed 21-Oct-15 20:00:43

Talkin I would check the VOA website to see if they changed your band or if the council just changed it. Only the VOA can change your band and it could be the council is acting illegally. I work in valuation for a council and we are only notified of banding changes when there is a change to the land registry

TheUnwillingNarcheska Wed 21-Oct-15 21:10:51

I knew I wasn't going crazy on this. I just wondered which councils were doing this as I couldn't find anything on the internet to back this up.

There are discrepancies now with 2nd home discounts due to certain tourist areas suffering with the sheer number of houses only being charged at what was 50%.

Councils were then given the power to charge anything up to 90%. Most opted for 75% because if you charged 90% people would lie to say the house is occupied by one adult which would result in a 75% charge.

But rebanding on a house before sale is just weird.

My sister also had the whole fire door issue. She has a Victorian end terrace with an original loft room. They added a utility to the loft room and suddenly they needed fire doors confused They haven't been signed off either as the work is incomplete.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: