Talk

Advanced search

cracks in pebbledash

(9 Posts)
anx123 Tue 20-Oct-15 19:06:13

Hi I live in a ground floor flat in a two story building us and one flat above. Last year a guy came to do guttering and noticed a crack in pebble dash between upstairs kitchen window and where the gas pipe entry is. The crack hasn't got any bigger in this time and 8s only noticeable if you know it's there is is about 1 to 2 mm even all the way(doesn't actually go as low as our flat ). I also have a crack under my window that is slightly thinner and again hasn't moved.....looking to sell next yr am in Scotland so have to get home report and having seen the detail they go in to I am worried that they will fail us and we won't be able to sell. We live by a railway and the embankment is about 7 meters away from the wall with trees but not humongous ones sorry to go on but quite anxious! Any opinions would be fab thankssmile

Belleende Tue 20-Oct-15 19:22:40

Cracks in pebbled ash are more likely due to it being old and knackered rather than tree damage. I have just replaced the dash on my flat (it was blown, extensive danp inside) and had flat roof replaced and everything painted. Dash is guaranteed for 20 years. Total Cost £18k split between 3 flats took less than a week.

So the survey may point out that at some point the property will need to be re rendered, but if there is no damp internally then it is not urgent.

If it comes up in survey, I would give no more than £2K off asking price. It is standard maintenance for pebbledashed properties.

Belleende Tue 20-Oct-15 19:25:12

Oh btw, I would be much more concerned that there is a good track record of mutual maintenence issues bring amicably sorted between all the flats.

anx123 Tue 20-Oct-15 19:33:32

Thanks it was build in 2004. So j7st about 11 yrs old we have 4 flats and each have own building and contents policies and split all repairs 4 ways worked fine so far even with 2 rented flats on the other side of our two! That's another reason to move soon too before anything huge happens it's a bit if a nightmare really

Belleende Thu 22-Oct-15 07:38:04

If only 10 years old unless there was poor construction the dash shlould still be sound. Do you have any construction guarantees? My flat was much older and was converted into flats in the 80s by a bunch of cowboys. It might just need some minor repairs

anx123 Thu 22-Oct-15 10:29:22

Our flats were built by what we now know to be a bunch of cowboys too so we have nothing to go on.....we didn't buy the flat first another couple had it for 2 yrs before think they did all the work themselves then went bust after they finished our flats lol

LBOCS2 Thu 22-Oct-15 11:36:49

How can you all have your own buildings insurance policies? You don't own the building!

LBOCS2 Thu 22-Oct-15 11:37:17

(Individually, I mean).

Belleende Thu 22-Oct-15 12:10:35

Yep I was wondering the same. We (the freeholders) have a single building insurance, and then each flat has individual contents. I think you need to check with the insurance Co that they fully understand your set up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now