Advanced search

Contact building control at the LA?

(14 Posts)
howtorebuild Mon 19-Oct-15 17:13:52

Next door have had builders in for a month or so, tearing the place apart.

Today I see they have about 15/20cm deep polystyrene sheets, insulation? being attached to the outside wall. They took off window sills earlier.

I am concerned as a semi, they have taken internal walls out and are putting the second layer of external wall on the outside. They may also have taken out supporting walls.

They ignore me when they see me, and they did the same to another neighbour. They blocked the drains, he only asked they flush their loo. There seem two or three families living there and they don't speak English.

What do I do?

FruVikingessOla Mon 19-Oct-15 18:19:59

It does seem that you need to contact Building Control at your local council.

Have you checked that they have Planning Permission for what they're doing? Although it's possible that they haven't applied for it in the first place - from your description.

But I wonder if you might need a Party Wall Surveyor too? Sorry, I'm no expert. But if your houses are semi-detached, it's possible that you might be suffering damage .... which is, I guess, your fear.

howtorebuild Mon 19-Oct-15 18:29:24

Thanks, flowers I don't need this. How do I get a surveyor? I will email building control then follow up with a call tomorrow. sad

FruVikingessOla Mon 19-Oct-15 18:31:46

Oh, another couple of thoughts.

If the work they're doing has not been 'passed', it's possible that your council could shut them down until things have been formalised.

Also, you might need a Structural Engineer to come and have a look. You'll have to pay for that though.

It sounds like a shit situation - you have my sympathies.

There are, or were, some really good planning officers on MN - not sure if they're still here though. I hope they'll see this thread.

howtorebuild Mon 19-Oct-15 18:38:36

Will my house insurance cover a structural engineer?

3littlefrogs Mon 19-Oct-15 18:42:24

You need to ring your insurance company asap and ask them to send a structural surveyor out. They will tell you what else needs to happen.

howtorebuild Mon 19-Oct-15 18:43:22

I am scared of them too, I am the only adult here, there are several families living next door, with a very dominant Man. I know some people hit children regularly sad and they do, you can hear the smacks and crying, I guess they would hit us too.

FruVikingessOla Mon 19-Oct-15 18:47:17

It's possible that your Buildings Insurance should cover a Structural Engineer and/or a Chartered Surveyor - but that will only to check your house.

Can you check on your local council website to see what planning permission - if any - has been granted to your neighbours?

3littlefrogs Mon 19-Oct-15 18:48:03

That sounds awful OP.
If they are assaulting the children maybe Social services should be informed. however, I can understand your fears.

Are your properties privately owned/rented?

howtorebuild Mon 19-Oct-15 19:11:58

I am scared of them, sorry I feel guilty as it is. They don't prolong hit, they shout then you hear a hit, as if it's their form of discipline. I don't think that's illegal to hit is it? It may be a cultural thing so, I weighed up it's not worth me putting us in danger for. I have to put my dc first, we are all not in good health, they could do us serious damage if they hit us, more than the average person, and yes I feel guilty for their children. sad

They own as do I.

3littlefrogs Mon 19-Oct-15 19:36:34

You poor thing. This must be so awful for you.

I think the first thing to do must be to contact your insurers. If they have taken out supporting walls your home may be dangerous.

LPLPLP Mon 19-Oct-15 20:21:17

They may be fitting External Wall Insulation. It comes in big blocks which are glued to the outside walls (then has a plastic fixing through the middle) which will then be covered with a special render or similar. We had it done to our solid wall house and the end result looks really smart. It does require new extended windowsills.

LPLPLP Mon 19-Oct-15 20:25:13

PigletJohn Mon 19-Oct-15 20:37:53

yes, it is very common in parts of northern Europe.

But I don't know if it would need building regs or planning permission, especially on a semi where the walls will no longer match next door.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: